Thread: Think Unity crashed

Beans

Think Unity crashed

Hey all,

I've installed ubuntu before but am still really quite new to all that and can only do the basics.

Got back to ubuntu yesterday after a 2 year hiatus and was quite pleased at the progress, however, within 15 minutes of installing it, managed to corrupt my root password shadow file (authentication token manipulation error) which i fixed by just reinstalling everything everything again.

However, think I've managed to screw up the window manager. I downloaded CCSM and started playing around with some of the settings, however, next time i booted up the laptop, i only have the title bar. ctrl-alt-T still works to bring up the terminal, however.

Attached is the screenshot.

I've looked around and no one seems to have a similar problem. I'm really quite brand new to this and am really very new to linux in general. Little help please? Really would like other answers than reinstalling the whole damn OS again. Thanks!

colinnn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Think Unity crashed

It seems CCSM has a tendency of randomly disabling the "Ubuntu Unity Plugin". Also, it gets disabled when you try to enable the desktop cube or other settings that haven't been integrated into Unity yet. Just going to preferences in CCSM also disabled Unity. Just reopen CCSM>Desktop>enable Ubuntu Unity Plugin.

Hope that works!

Beans

or try with this
    Code:
    unity --replace

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

....yes, but how should he get into the terminal, or ccsm, as there is an empty desktop

press ctrl+alt+t , then type "ccsm" to get into the compiz settings manager, or type the other entry that was proposed

Beans

ups my bad, I forget about "ctrl+alt+"!

Beans

it worked!!!

thanks everyone. sigh. no easy way to get eye candy on the newest release is there

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

good to hear!
    don 't forget to mark the thread as solved