Thread: Adding an IP to the Loopback adapter in /etc/network/interfaces

Beans

Question Adding an IP to the Loopback adapter in /etc/network/interfaces

Hi all,

I'm encountering a strange little foyble of Ubuntu/Debian/*nix.

Goal: To use an IP address that is used to access one of two servers internally via our load balancer and add it to the loopback adapter so that exim runs listening on that address instead of 127.0.0.1 and sending out on the server's address.

Current Setup: Traffic to 10.0.9.33 hits our loadbalance and get's directed to 10.0.11.33 or 10.0.12.33.
    Exim on those servers is set up to listen on 127.0.0.1 but when it makes an SMTP connection to other SMTP servers it goes out on the 10.0.x.33 address is NAT'ed through out FW/Router.

As such I've been trying to add 10.0.9.33 to the loopback adapter. What I'm finding is the following.

Problem Description:
    If I add the ip address to the loopback adapter using ifconfig command all works fine but the change is not persistent between boots of course.
    Code:
    ifconfig lo:0 10.0.9.33/8
    If I add the configuration to /etc/network/interfaces whilst the config is read ok by ifup and implemented all traffic to all interfaces is dropped. My interfaces file contains the following for the loopback adapter:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto lo:0
    iface lo:0 inet static
    address 10.0.9.33
    netmask 255.0.0.0
    Then I use
    Code:
    ifup -a
    to bring up the interfaces from the /etc/network/interfaces file.

I'd be grateful for any feedback on why one method does work and the other doesn't and also some proposed solution for keeping this ip address persisten.

Beans

Re: Adding an IP to the Loopback adapter in /etc/network/interfaces

the error i see is that lo:0 is not marked as a loopback interface