Thread: Touchpad not working in Ubuntu 11.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Touchpad not working in Ubuntu 11.10

Hi,

I have a problem with my touchpad since I updated from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 on my ASUS N61J laptop.

My touchpad used to work just fine, and I had touchpad-indicator installed, but since the update, the touchpad doesn't work at all.

I have tried to:
    - Update touchpad-indicator
    - Uninstall touchpad-indicator through apt-get
    - Install synaptiks. I've read that this is a common problem and the way to solve it is to install synaptiks, reboot and launch synaptiks.

None of the things I have tried worked. I cannot move the mouse with the touchpad, or left click, or right click.

Does anyone please have a solution?

Thank you very much.

Beans

Re: Touchpad not working in Ubuntu 11.10

First, make sure the touchpad is enabled (should be a button above pad that enables/disables). Now, did you have to install proprietary drivers for the touchpad on 11.04? If so, open up "System > Administration > Hardware Devices" and activate the appropriate driver. If it's not there, check the manufacturer's website. Then, go to "System > Administration > Update Manager" to check for driver updates.

If it's none of these, I suppose it's possible that an update was corrupted due to network packet failures (should result in a different md5sum). So, you could either re-update or rollback the driver.

If that doesn't solve it, then I couldn't tell you (Xorg.conf maybe? doubt it). I would recommend contacting the manufacturer.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by antoinethewiz View Post
    First, make sure the touchpad is enabled (should be a button above pad that enables/disables). Now, did you have to install proprietary drivers for the touchpad on 11.04? If so, open up "System > Administration > Hardware Devices" and activate the appropriate driver. If it's not there, check the manufacturer's website. Then, go to "System > Administration > Update Manager" to check for driver updates.

If it's none of these, I suppose it's possible that an update was corrupted due to network packet failures (should result in a different md5sum). So, you could either re-update or rollback the driver.

If that doesn't solve it, then I couldn't tell you (Xorg.conf maybe? doubt it). I would recommend contacting the manufacturer.
    Hi, thanks a lot for your help.

I checked your ideas, this is what I can report: there are no buttons to turn on or off my touchpad. My touchpad still works in Windows 7. When I installed Ubuntu 11.04, the touchpad started working immediately (no driver installation were made by me).

I cannot find Hardware Devices in Unity. I checked "Additional drivers", but it is not there.

Any advice please?

Thank you.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by christian.convey View Post

Thanks a lot! The second comment fixed my problem! Awesome, thank you very much!