Thread: Elantech touchpad in Asus X52N under 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Elantech touchpad in Asus X52N under 10.04

Hello,

am trying to configure this notebook for a friend and have got stuck on the touchpad.
    The touchpad is a funny one, with a single button, though left may be used as a left click and right as a right click.
    Given I wanted to give her a LTS version I had to use 10.04.
    Preliminary investigation show that the touchpad is not properly recognised, though L and R click and touchpad proper, including two finger swipe to scroll, work.
    synclient -l declares that there is no synaptics driver and xinput list will acknowledge a PS mouse and the emulation of a Mac mouse (!!!).
    I would not ask your help if the touchpad behaviour were not very erratic, would also seem to click if left too long hovering over a button, and select at random screen estate when no selection click were applied.
    An extensive search through French, Italian and these forums gave me nothing, except for some mumbling that the Elantech HW should be recognised out of the box, and this is a bug...
    Thank you for any assistance in what I understand to be a non-trivial problem. Usual trial-and-error gsynaptics fiddling did not work, BTW.

Beans

Re: Elantech touchpad in Asus X52N under 10.04

i am also stuck in similar situation.
    did you get any solution/workaround?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Elantech touchpad in Asus X52N under 10.04

I am sorry, I do not recall, but I think that, because of this problem, I actually installed 11.04, and the problem was no longer there.
    You may try that, unless you are very keen on 10.04...
    And do not forget you are not obliged to use the crap Unity [even Linus Torvalds believes it is crap...], as you can always use the Gnome desktop.