Thread: Gnome shell disappears after first logout - login cycle

Beans

Gnome shell disappears after first logout - login cycle

Hi,

I updated my old Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 and installed Gnome 3 but after I logged out the first time and back in again the Gnome Shell is missing. I can get it back by removing all .* folders and files in my home folder but after I log out and back in again the shell disappears again.

I assume that the system resets to some default settings left over by Ubuntu 11.04, but I don't know where to find them and change this behaviour. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Gnome shell disappears after first logout - login cycle

You didn't install the alternate status menu extension, did you? There's a bugged version going around that causes that on login. There's a fixed version in the webupd8 ppa

If you move your ~/.config/dconf folder to somewhere else, it should get regenerated on next login, so gnome-shell starts. At least then, you're not redoing everything, just the gnome settings.
    "I was dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long after you're dead."

Beans

Actually ... I did. But it works fine on my other laptop. Weird. I'll try your solution and will tell if it has worked later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

The bug only happens if you don't have a picture set, supposedly. It's also possible you got a different version on one system.
    "I was dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long after you're dead."

Beans

Yep. That works. Thanks for your help.