Thread: gnome panel menu messed up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

gnome panel menu messed up

I've noticed that the gnome classic that's available from the repositories with 11.10 is missing the system menu and that I can't right click to bring up any reasonable menu for the purpose of adding things to the panel.

Anyone know what's going on here? Is Canonical sabotaging gnome classic in an effort to make Unity look good? Personally I do NOT like Unity one bit and to give me some junk item that looks like gnome isn't a winning tactic.

So, I would appreciate any help on determining what's going on here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: gnome panel menu messed up

Gnome no longer supports / maintains Gnome 2 and now focuses on Gnome 3 , So Ubuntu , Fedora , and some other distributions now use Gnome 3.

The Gnome shell has a fallback mode that looks familiar , but being temporary it does not offer the options of Gnome 2 .
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

You can edit the panel by holding the Alt key when you right click. The System menu has been replaced by the user menu on the right side. Any configuration applets that have not been merged into System Settings are currently in Applications->Other.

For the record, these changes come from upstream GNOME, not from Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks, that's what I needed. Wow, did they mess it up.

IMHO, gnome3 and Unity are non-viable. Gnome 2 and KDE are the only viable desktop managers. Unity is a joke and it is a gawd awful one. Gnome 3 is an engineering fools errand.