Thread: Computer would not boot to OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Computer would not boot to OS

I was unable to boot to my OS this morning. My computer is a dual boot XP and Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit. I was able to get into BIOS settings but beyond this the monitor just showed a blinking cursor.
    Since this problem occurred I have been able to boot into Ubuntu but I am concerned that the computer is on its last legs and want to know what the source of the problem is. I thought the issue was my RAM so I reinserted each stick one at a time and eventually the computer booted to a screen indicating that the computer had failed to boot previously and to either press F1 to continue or DEL and reset BIOS to default. Once I reset to default it worked.
    I have a AMD X2 4200+ chip with a Asus M2N-E MB and crucial RAM ( 3 sticks 2 512 and one 1 GB)
    I want to keep this my only computer till next Spring when Ivy Bridge Chips are released. Originally I was going to build on the Bulldozer chip but it is getting awful reviews. Any suggestions to keep my system running for another 5 or 6 months would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Computer would not boot to OS

Ran Mem86+ last night for about 14 hours. I quit before it completed but it listed over 400 errors so I guess it is time to buy new memory. Fairly cheap fix anyway