Thread: DVD drive behaves strangely

Beans

DVD drive behaves strangely

After a long time during which I hadn't used it at all, I discovered that my DVD drive doesn't burn CD-Rs anymore.

It can read, but not write. It does recognize the blank CDs, but after I click on "Burn" in Brasero, it spins and spins for a couple of minutes and then tells me there has been an error while burning. The CD is ejected untouched. If I try the "simulate" option, it simply lasts much less, and the outcome is the same.

Still, when I tried to burn a DVD, it worked (almost) fine! In the end I got an error message again, but the job was done and the DVD usable: a couple of videos and a pdf file were readable. Only the last file, a subtitle file, was corrupt and wouldn't open.

This means at least that the laser is functional.

I checked out in Windows XP (I have a Windows partition on the same laptop). Surprise: both blank CDs and DVDs are NOT recognized! The system tells me the drive is "not accessible" when I insert a blank. So, no burn at all. Here too, CDs and DVDs can be read.

I tried a different make of blank CD-Rs, but the result is the same.

I must add that, when reading, the drive seems to work pretty slow. It takes a really long time to access the files on a disc.

Laptop: HP Compaq 6720s
    Drive model: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L
    Firmware version: NC08
    and
    Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: DVD drive behaves strangely

The slowness of the drive indicates that there are a lot of errors during the read, which need to run through an error correction algorithm, which takes more time. Did you already try to clean the laser?

Beans

Re: DVD drive behaves strangely

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    The slowness of the drive indicates that there are a lot of errors during the read, which need to run through an error correction algorithm, which takes more time. Did you already try to clean the laser?
    No. How do I do that? Looking at it, it doesn't seem dirty. "Do not touch the lens", they say.
    Last edited by enverhoxha; October 16th, 2011 at 10:02 PM.