Thread: Archos 80G8 File transfer through MTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Archos 80G8 File transfer through MTP

Hi,
    I just bought myself an Archos 80 G9 running Android 3.2.46 and I'm loving it so far, despite a few little niggles here and there.
    At this moment, my biggest issue is that I can't easily transfer files to and from the tablet using the USB cable.
    I was wondering if somebody could help me out with this one.
    In the manual it says that you can use MTP to transfer files to and from your device, but they never mention which program you can use for that. I have installed a program gMTP from the repositories that is supposed to work with MTP devices, but it never gets recognized, the software does not find the tablet. Also the filebrowser does not see the tablet either.
    This leads me to my second issue, when I query the USB drivers, I can clearly see that the USB does see an Archos device:

Code:
    home@home-pc:~$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0e79:1508 Archos, Inc.
    The Kernel is also aware that there is an USB device on 006

Code:
    [ 2380.316074] usb 2-1: new high speed USB device number 6 using ehci_hcd
    [ 2573.160649] gmtp[3553]: segfault at 18 ip 0000000000416f7d sp 00007fff0b9c7af0 error 4 in gmtp[400000+1f000]
    However gMTP gets an error.
    I have no idea what that all means, but I was hoping that somebody might know how to get it working.
    I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 (64 bits), right now I do file transfers through the wireless, but I won't always be able to do that.

Kind regards
    Approach life & cooking with reckless abandon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Archos 80G8 File transfer through MTP

Hello quinnten83, saw that you also posted on archosfan. I'm surprised you got no answer yet. The only thing I read elsewhere was, to make sure debugging was off in the tablet.

I don't have an archos, yet, so I hope you can get this resolved.

Beans

Hi,

I think I've found a way to fix that problem... Actually it fixes the problem to every honeycomb device on Ubuntu (it's an english translation of that solution)

First you have to enter that code in a terminal

Code:
    sudo apt-get install mtpfs
    sudo mkdir /media/tablet (or whatever you want)
    sudo chmod 775 /media/tablet 
    sudo mtpfs -o allow_other /media/tablet
    Then edit the file /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules :

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
    You must add the following lines

Code:
     SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="xxxx", ATTRS{idProduct}=="xxxx", MODE="0666", OWNER="**" #<$$>
    The idVendor is the first number before the ":", the idProduct is the number after in
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0e79:1508 Archos, Inc. ( So idVendor = 0e79; idProduct=1508 )

** = the name you use to log in
    $$ = the name of your device or every name you want

Last thing : run this comand in a terminal

Code:
    sudo chmod a+r /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
    Plug your Archos 80 g9 on your computer. You will be able to browse your tablet.
    Hope it will work for you !

A french ubuntu&archos fan

Beans

Actually I think there is another problem with the rights... I cannot copy or paste something into the device or from the device... Maybe there is a fix with one of the chmod comand ? Sorry for that mistake.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Change the 666 in the /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules file to 777 and it works fine:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0e79", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1508", MODE="0777", OWNER="your_name_here" #<tablet>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Now i want to know how to run the mount and unmount commands automatically - any ideas?