Thread: VirtualBox Share folder

Beans

VirtualBox Share folder

Firstly, hi, nice to be here and I hope I'll be around a while as I'm new to Ubuntu but love it so far.

Now, I've got a weird problem with a shared folder in VirtualBox (4.0.4) running XP from a Ubuntu 11.04 host.

I've set up the share folder as /home/tom/Music and previously I was able to successfully add the whole of this folder to my iTunes library within the XP guest (this is so I can sync my iPhone). The only folder in this directory (/home/tom/Music) is iTunes which is basically just a copy/paste dump from my old Windows install before I switched to Ubuntu. The idea was that I would have this iTunes folder from which I would play all my music on Ubuntu, and then I could just link to this folder from the VirtualBox OS so that both my libraries for iPhone and PC would be in sync and I wouldn't have to replicate any music when I added stuff.

Unfortunately, after initially working, I can now no longer access the folder /home/tom/Music/iTunes from the XP guest. I get the error "X:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect"
    And although this prevents me from navigating to the folder and adding new music to my XP library, weirdly I am still able to play all my music from the X:\ drive (I have checked "get info..." and the path definitely goes through this folder I can't open X:\iTunes). I am also able to mount other directories (like my home directory) and explore everything there, though as soon as I try to open the iTunes folder in Music then it throws the same error.

Any ideas what is going on here? I'm wondering if it is a permission problem, but I am a total Linux newbie and am beyond being able to Google the answer.

Sorry this is a bit of a long post, wanted to try to include everything that was relevant.
    Thanks

Beans

Re: VirtualBox Share folder

Quote Originally Posted by tomhjp View Post
    Firstly, hi, nice to be here and I hope I'll be around a while as I'm new to Ubuntu but love it so far.

Now, I've got a weird problem with a shared folder in VirtualBox (4.0.4) running XP from a Ubuntu 11.04 host.

I've set up the share folder as /home/tom/Music and previously I was able to successfully add the whole of this folder to my iTunes library within the XP guest (this is so I can sync my iPhone). The only folder in this directory (/home/tom/Music) is iTunes which is basically just a copy/paste dump from my old Windows install before I switched to Ubuntu. The idea was that I would have this iTunes folder from which I would play all my music on Ubuntu, and then I could just link to this folder from the VirtualBox OS so that both my libraries for iPhone and PC would be in sync and I wouldn't have to replicate any music when I added stuff.

Unfortunately, after initially working, I can now no longer access the folder /home/tom/Music/iTunes from the XP guest. I get the error "X:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect"
    And although this prevents me from navigating to the folder and adding new music to my XP library, weirdly I am still able to play all my music from the X:\ drive (I have checked "get info..." and the path definitely goes through this folder I can't open X:\iTunes). I am also able to mount other directories (like my home directory) and explore everything there, though as soon as I try to open the iTunes folder in Music then it throws the same error.

Any ideas what is going on here? I'm wondering if it is a permission problem, but I am a total Linux newbie and am beyond being able to Google the answer.

Sorry this is a bit of a long post, wanted to try to include everything that was relevant.
    Thanks
    you are running an old version of virtual box, i recommened upgrading to latest.

and also adding the extensions pack from same source
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply. I've now installed 4.1.4 and the extension pack, both from the VirtualBox website. Same problem as before unfortunately..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tomhjp View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I've now installed 4.1.4 and the extension pack, both from the VirtualBox website. Same problem as before unfortunately..
    delete the x: drive and remove the connection

recreate the shared folder and remap it in your XP

see if that helps
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

I have tried disconnecting and then remapping the network drive but no joy. Interestingly while I was playing around in command prompt, I found that even though I wasn't able to look at what was in the iTunes folder in X:, I was still able to cd into the "iTunes Media" folder within and then generally do whatever inside (for example I was able to copy a file from X: into "X:\iTunes\iTunes Media"), I just still can't add files inside the iTunes folder as it seems to be some sort of block.

Is this behaviour symptomatic of anything obvious?

C:\Documents and Settings\tom>X:

X:\>dir
    Volume in drive X is VBOX_share
    Volume Serial Number is 0000-0805

Directory of X:\

12/09/2011 23:38 <DIR> iTunes
    0 File(s) 4,096 bytes
    1 Dir(s) 127,635,922,944 bytes free

X:\>cd iTunes

X:\iTunes>dir

Directory of X:\iTunes

File Not Found

X:\iTunes>cd "iTunes Media"

X:\iTunes\iTunes Media>dir

Directory of X:\iTunes\iTunes Media

11/09/2011 16:43 <DIR> Podcasts
    11/10/2011 23:19 <DIR> Movies
    11/10/2011 21:40 <DIR> Music
    11/09/2011 19:52 <DIR> Ringtones
    11/10/2011 23:19 <DIR> TV Shows
    21/12/2010 16:52 <DIR> Automatically Add to iTunes
    11/09/2011 19:53 <DIR> Downloads
    21/05/2011 16:01 <DIR> Books
    11/09/2011 12:02 <DIR> Mobile Applications
    0 File(s) 45,056 bytes
    9 Dir(s) 127,636,000,768 bytes free

X:\iTunes\iTunes Media>

(Also I tried adding files to Automatically Add to iTunes but can't figure out how to get iTunes to register I put something there, however even if I did get that working it would still be a frustratingly clunky workaround, so I don't think I'll pursue that any further)