Thread: ATI Proprietary Video Card driver prevents me from adjusting brightness of my Laptop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ATI Proprietary Video Card driver prevents me from adjusting brightness of my Laptop

Hi Guys,

I'm using UBUNTU 10.04 LTS for desktop on my Acer 4738ZG Laptop which has a discrete video card of ATI 4750, with dedicated memory of 512Mb.

The first time I installed Ubuntu, (without the ATI proprietary driver for my video card) I could still adjust the brightness settings of my laptop for on-battery mode and on-AC mode. I will just adjust the horizontal bar to determine my desired brightness level.

After Installing and activating the ATI proprietary driver, I could no longer adjust the brightness level when I am in AC-mode. I could move the horizontal bar for brightness, but it doesn't do anything. In battery mode, everything is just fine. But I really want to trim down my brightness level on AC mode, since, I really find it uncomfortable to my eyes having the brightness level set to the max.

If you could provide help on how to adjust it without deactivating the Proprietary Driver for my ATI, it would be a big help for me.

Thanks.
    Acer Aspire 4738ZG
    (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS/Windows 7 Professional)
    Linux User # 529240
    Ubuntu User # 33035

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ATI Proprietary Video Card driver prevents me from adjusting brightness of my Lap

Help please?
    Acer Aspire 4738ZG
    (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS/Windows 7 Professional)
    Linux User # 529240
    Ubuntu User # 33035

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Re: ATI Proprietary Video Card driver prevents me from adjusting brightness of my Lap

Same problem here. Ubuntu without proprietary drivers - brightness works like a charm. Ubuntu with ATI drivers - no brightness control. Ok, the Fn-keys for the brightness don't work in either cases, but without the ATI drivers one can adjust the brightness via the brightness applet on the main panel.

I've looked in so many threads but the suggested solutions there didn't solve anything. And it's a pain <snip> if you have to activate/deactivate the drivers every time you need/don't need them, which is also followed by a reset of the X.

Greetings!
    Last edited by coffeecat; October 10th, 2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate language

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: ATI Proprietary Video Card driver prevents me from adjusting brightness of my Lap

Old thread.

@rbaleksandar, it would be better if you started your own thread and gave details of your specific hardware and GPU.

Thread closed.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.