Thread: Lost my desktop icons and right-click, log attached

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Lost my desktop icons and right-click, log attached

I installed an NVIDIA driver and indeed it does support 1152x8864 resolution, the 4:3 resolution between 1024x768 and 1280x1024.

But it was a sloppy installation: I told it to install, gave my password and waited for it to finish. It didn't do anything, so I closed the program, It wouldn't close and I restarted the computer.

Now the hardware devices say I am using the new driver, the driver is incompatible with Preferences ==> Monitors, Do I want to use the NVIDIA tool instead? Yes.

The NVIDIA tool couldn't access something, so I went to uninstall the driver using Hardware Drivers. It ended up reinstalling NVIDIA, and then I had a whole range of resolutions, including 1152864.

I set my resolution and had everything looking good. But it could not parse my /etc/X11/xorg.conf when I attempted to save my resolution settings.

I sudo nautilus and navigate to /etc/X11, and renamed xorg.conf to 1xorg.conf, then created a new empty file, named xorg.conf.

I then successfully saved my resolution settings and viewed the resulting xorg.conf. It appeared to be complete, listing keyboard and mouse as well as video settings.

I auto-configured my monitor and the Desktop looks great.

Restart.

Panels come up and background comes up. No context menu for right-click. No cursors.

I navigate to my Desktop in Places, and the folder named Desktop is present and filled with everything that should be on the desktop.

A look in my home folder with Terminal, ls -l shows my permissions as I would expect them to be,there is a "Desktop folder icon" representing the desktop folder,versus the plain vanilla envelope (yes, it's supposed to be "manila!").

I had three programs that did not start when I restarted the computer, I sent the reports in and canceled the Firefox that came up each time for me to send a bug report in to Launchpad.

There is this thread titled [ubuntu] Desktop Icons Missing, No Right-Click, etc that covers this topic elsewhere on this forum.

Suggested there is to
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    which resulted in my already having the latest software installed, no changes made.

User "mcduck" offered this: "HAve you tried actually starting Nautilus? (As that sounds like for some reason or other Nautilus wasn't started).

Just open a terminal and run "nautilus &".

$ nautilus &
    [1] 1874

This was my result from the Terminal,and a Nautilus window came up.

Well, WELL, Well!

I run that nautlus & again and I saw different number on the Terminal, another window opened, but I also have an icon on the Desktop!

Here is the result of my second run:

$ nautilus &
    [2] 1885
    [1] Done nautilus

So I had to run it twice:
    Code:
    me@Fast:~$ nautilus &
    [1] 1874
    me@Fast:~$ nautilus &
    [2] 1885
    [1]   Done                    nautilus
    me@Fast:~$
    OK I will post this, and then restart and if need be I will either mark it solved or post a follow-up if I still encounter problems.

Larry
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Running on:
    2.8 GHz Pentium 4 with 1.2 GiB of RAM
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS: 1GHz AMD Athlon, 512Mbytes RAM, NVIDIA Video card, 64Mbytes RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lost my desktop icons and right-click, log attached

My video settings are all fouled up following reboot

After I posted my last, in which I had run the nautlus & twice and recovered my icons on the Desktop, I restarted the computer, and I was without Desktop icons and panels, and right-click.

CTRL+ALT+DEL was my only option short of a keyboard shortcut to run something (not familiar with those). After the three-finger salute, I was given opportunity to reboot or shut down, among the choices available.

Eventually had to drag out a PS/2 keyboard, as my USB keyboard has no access to the grub2 menu, and did a package repair, and a restart, then did a video repair to defaults.

With defaults I am and I am not running the NVIDIA driver, back to the spot where Preferences ==> Monitors isn't supported by my driver, but the NVIDIA tool can't access the driver either. But I have my stuff on the Desktop.

While I was off, I thought of running the Live CD and reinstalling the system. But my home folder was totally invisible, and I guess that comes with Ubuntu 10.04 and ext4 file systems.

I tried to provide the Xorg.0.log contents, but when I previewed the post, there was no scroll mechanism on the CODE box, and no way to see the overflowed

Thankscontents according to my preview.

You tell me what you need and I will send it up.
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Running on:
    2.8 GHz Pentium 4 with 1.2 GiB of RAM
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS: 1GHz AMD Athlon, 512Mbytes RAM, NVIDIA Video card, 64Mbytes RAM