Thread: System information disabled due to load higher than 1.0

Beans

System information disabled due to load higher than 1.0

I occasionallly see this message on a fresh boot and first login to any of my several machines. Any ideas what it means or what causes it? I am the only one logged in, and the machine is not reachable to the outside world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: System information disabled due to load higher than 1.0

I downloaded the Ubuntu 10.04 server ready made virtual machine from VirtualBox
    http://virtualboxes.org/images/
    It is only for playing with PHP etc. but half the time on bootup I get that message too.
    I have no idea why as the server is not connected to anything other than localhost.
    Where are the experts?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jazzon View Post
    I occasionallly see this message on a fresh boot and first login to any of my several machines. Any ideas what it means or what causes it? I am the only one logged in, and the machine is not reachable to the outside world.
    This might be informative
    Code:
     System load averages is the average number of processes that are either
           in a runnable or uninterruptable state.  A process in a runnable  state
           is  either  using the CPU or waiting to use the CPU. A process in unin‐
           terruptable state is waiting for some I/O access, eg waiting for  disk.
           The  averages  are  taken over the three time intervals.  Load averages
           are not normalized for the number of CPUs in a system, so a load  aver‐
           age  of 1 means a single CPU system is loaded all the time while on a 4
           CPU system it means it was idle 75% of the time.
    In a practical sense what the system is telling you is -- wait I'm busy right now.

To see a listing of system load use the commands w or top or (if installed) htop. The last two processes are real time so you can actually watch the load go up if you are watching a video or other CPU intensive activity.

Beans

LOL...Thanks cap. So during the boot up the one of the three scan cycles occurs, and the value is stored as > 1.0 so i get that message. Weird, but understandable now.