Thread: Connecting laptop to TV via HDMI

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Connecting laptop to TV via HDMI

Hi guys and girls,

I recently bought a new laptop (Samsung R730- works beautifully with Ubuntu btw) and of course installed Kubuntu on it as the only system.

I was experimenting with ways of watching videos from the laptop on my HD TV:

1st I connected them with an HDMI cable. It seemed to work OK but it is a bit of a pain- each time I connect the TV it asks me to configure the TV resolution, I have to change the sound settings so that the sound would come from the TV. Then when I disconnected the TV it messed up momentarily my laptop resolution (which was fixed automatically) and as a result all my desktop icons and widgets were messed up.

Q: Is there a way to set this up so that it just works? Is it any better in Gnome? I tried creating a new user so that I would just log into it with predefined settings whenever I wanted to watch a video but this didn't help much. This is actually the one thing which I'm missing from Windows- there 'it just worked'. Any advice please before I turn to this solution and install Win just for watching movies??

2nd I tried to stream videos wirelessly through my PS3. This works most of the time but some videos won't play through it and has its flaws (video stutters on occassion, server disconnects in the middle of the playback etc).

What else could I try?? Do you have maybe experience with some of those external media players under Ubuntu?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the lengthy post!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Connecting laptop to TV via HDMI

if you can determine what commands enable your tv to be set up, you could put them in a script and assign it to a launcher or key combination. for screen / resolution changes, use xrandr. for the audio portion, i suppose you should look at some pulseaudio tools.

probably not the answer you wanted to hear perhaps someone can offer an easy solution that doesn't involve a script.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Connecting laptop to TV via HDMI

Thanks aeiah. I'll have a look at xrandr and automating the setup. I was maybe hoping for some easier solution but still very helpful

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Thx