Thread: Wicd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wicd

If i install WICD, what's the benefit of this program over the standard Gnome networkmanager? And if i install WICD, does it remove the standard networkmanager?

Beans

Re: Wicd

Hi,

I think they are sincronizated.
    Test to install and from terminal run
    wicd-gtk
    it would be appear near the other applet

I tried to connect wired conection with 1, and the other do the same.

Hope that helps,
    papu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by nomko View Post
    If i install WICD, what's the benefit of this program over the standard Gnome networkmanager? And if i install WICD, does it remove the standard networkmanager?
    Wicd is simpler than NetworkManager and, in some cases, works better with wifi, especially if the security type is WPA/WPA2 mixed type.

Installing it won't remove NM automatically, but you should do it manually. Using both at the same time may cause problems due to mutual conflict.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Wicd is simpler than NetworkManager and, in some cases, works better with wifi, especially if the security type is WPA/WPA2 mixed type.

Installing it won't remove NM automatically, but you should do it manually. Using both at the same time may cause problems due to mutual conflict.
    You can actually have both installed just tell the startup apps to start one at boot and not the other. I have had both on a system before with no conflicts. Also it's better at the beginning justin case you can't get wicd to work properly as I just did a few minutes ago....
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmapond View Post
    You can actually have both installed just tell the startup apps to start one at boot and not the other. I have had both on a system before with no conflicts. Also it's better at the beginning justin case you can't get wicd to work properly as I just did a few minutes ago....
    O yeah.. that's a better suggestion
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags