Thread: Dell XPS M1530's wireless problem to be solved?

Beans

Dell XPS M1530's wireless problem to be solved?

Hello,

I've been using Dell XPS M1530 for more than a year. From the first day, i'm having difficulty with wireless card Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG. Not even one suggestion solved my problem such as modprobing with disable_hw_scan or keeping rfkill hardware button at 0 for all times.

Now my Jaunty uses kernel version 2.6.28. I also use another linux distro Pardus which uses kernel version 2.6.30. The wireless problem has vanished in Pardus, where as my Jaunty is still suffering from it (besides, Vista never had such a problem). I took a quick look at the modules loaded and i noticed that there are modules dell_laptop and rfkill in Pardus, which i suppose are the solutions of the problem.

Can anyone of you, Ubuntu Masters, please confirm my diagnosis? Will my problem go away with the new kernel version, that will problably have the dell_laptop and rfkill modules?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dell XPS M1530's wireless problem to be solved?

I am surprised there is a problem with that wireless card. Mine has been working on an HP for a few years without tweaking, ndiswrapper or anything else. I don't have the modules you mentioned loaded.
    What is the problem exactly? What happens when you try connecting using an unmodified installation or a live cd?

As for other OSs, I don't think you can draw conclusions based on Pardus or Windows. Pardus is not a Debian distro, so that it's likely to have it's own modules, and Windows is just Windows.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried another release of Ubuntu?
    Last edited by mikewhatever; October 3rd, 2009 at 05:59 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    I am surprised there is a problem with that wireless card. Mine has been working on an HP for a few years without tweaking, ndiswrapper or anything else. I don't have the modules you mentioned loaded.
    What is the problem exactly? What happens when you try connecting using an unmodified installation or a live cd?

As for other OSs, I don't think you can draw conclusions based on Pardus or Windows. Pardus is not a Debian distro, so that it's likely to have it's own modules, and Windows is just Windows.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried another release of Ubuntu?
    Hi mikewhatever,

I've tried Kubuntu 8.04, Ubuntu 8.04 8.10 (live and install) and 9.04, Fedora, OpenSuse and Pardus with ipw3945, iwl3945 or ndiswrapper. They all had problems with the wireless card. I suspect that the problem is with the rfkill switch, according to my previous thread.

My problem is something like that:

Independent of the position of the wireless kill switch (which is a sliding hardware switch on my machine, not a Function+F4 combination or something) when i boot linux, i get output similar to this (dmesg | grep 3945):

Code:
    iwl3945: MAC is in deep sleep
    iwl3945: Unable to int nic
    or sometimes:

Code:
    iwl3945: Detected Intel Wireless WiFi Link 3945ABG
    iwl3945: Error: saturation power is -1, less than minimum expected 40
    iwl3945: Invalid power index
    iwl3945: initializing regulatory failed: -5
    iwl3945 0000:0b:00.0: PCI INT A disabled
    iwl3945: probe of 0000:0b:00.0 failed with error -5
    After applying some recommendations such as:

Code:
    	sudo rmmod -f iwl3945 && sudo modprobe iwl3945 disable_hw_scan=1
    or installing backports modules or upgrading kernel version i got nothing! Turning the wireless switch on and off several times was not a fix neither.

I should say that this is not always the case. Sometimes I can scan the wireless networks around me and connect without any problem in linux.

I can simply check the output of

Code:
    ifconfig -a
    or

Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    and if the MAC address of my wireless card goes 00:00:00:00:00:00 then definitely there will be no wireless connection. But if the MAC address is correct, then everything will be alright (By the way, this is nothing to do with the Ubuntu's default action of disabling wireless card when the machine is connected to a wired network, since disabling a network card never resets it MAC address, as this was argued at some point).

This was the summary of what i've experienced, hoping it was clear enough. My machine is a Dell. Not all 3945 cards has this problem. But this is not a hardware failure, since Windows works perfectly, as i said.

By looking at the number of replies to this thread, i can see that this is not a frequently met problem in the community so i will be celebrating this alone

Thanks for your reply anyway.
    Last edited by jasonkirk2006; October 7th, 2009 at 07:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I got the same box and - yes all the same problems. Sometimes i have to boot 3-4 times to get it working. Same problem with Open Suse, witch I tested after the fatal update of 9.10. I wish it would be a better way than rebooting

I am running 9.04 and not as it says in my signature 9.10
    Whats next?

dell XPS m1530, 4G ram, nvidia 8600m gs
    ubuntu mostly trying the latest release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I leave you there this link that seems to solve the problem, it hasn't worked for me as I don't know how to install with make install from the console yet, if anyone tries it and works for him, I beg please send me a clue! thx! I'll try to research anyway but its good to make things easier!

http://debii.curtin.edu.au/~pedram/t...-on-ubuntu-810

farewell!