Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Natty 32bit - Help creating iso image from CDrom using Cli

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    180
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Question Natty 32bit - Help creating iso image from CDrom using Cli

    Hi there,

    I seem to be running into issues as I try to use the CLi to create an iso image of a cdrom that I have in my drive.

    Here's what I've tried so far:

    Code:
    alex@griever:~$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/disc1.iso
    dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
    48+0 records in
    48+0 records out
    24576 bytes (25 kB) copied, 0.00641352 s, 3.8 MB/s
    alex@griever:~$ dd if=/dev/scd0 of=cd.iso
    dd: reading `/dev/scd0': Input/output error
    48+0 records in
    48+0 records out
    24576 bytes (25 kB) copied, 0.00656128 s, 3.7 MB/s
    alex@griever:~$
    As you can see I've tried both /dev/cdrom and /dev/scd0 and didn't really get very far.

    Could someone help tell me what I'm doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: Natty 32bit - Help creating iso image from CDrom using Cli

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexOnVinyl View Post
    As you can see I've tried both /dev/cdrom and /dev/scd0 and didn't really get very far.
    They're both symlinks to /dev/sr0 which usually works for me. I don't know why the symlinks don't work, but try:

    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/sr0 of=path/to/file.iso

    Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    180
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Natty 32bit - Help creating iso image from CDrom using Cli

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    They're both symlinks to /dev/sr0 which usually works for me. I don't know why the symlinks don't work, but try:

    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/sr0 of=path/to/file.iso
    can you give me an example of what to put in for the Path to file?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    180
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Natty 32bit - Help creating iso image from CDrom using Cli

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    They're both symlinks to /dev/sr0 which usually works for me. I don't know why the symlinks don't work, but try:

    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/sr0 of=path/to/file.iso
    Oh I see what you changed... the /sr0 part

    got it, let me give it a try.

    -----

    Yep, still got the same issue:

    Code:
    alex@griever:~$ sudo dd if=/dev/sr0 of=~/disc1.iso
    dd: reading `/dev/sr0': Input/output error
    48+0 records in
    48+0 records out
    24576 bytes (25 kB) copied, 0.00653128 s, 3.8 MB/s
    alex@griever:~$
    Last edited by AlexOnVinyl; September 13th, 2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Updated post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: Natty 32bit - Help creating iso image from CDrom using Cli

    To be honest, I'm mystified. I wonder if the cdrom is faulty. Try with another CDROM. If dd works with another cdrom, then the one you are trying to copy may be faulty. Or try Brasero or k3b - both GUI apps. If you use Brasero, you choose "Create a 1:1 copy of a CD" and then specify an ISO as output.

    Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    180
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Natty 32bit - Help creating iso image from CDrom using Cli

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    To be honest, I'm mystified. I wonder if the cdrom is faulty. Try with another CDROM. If dd works with another cdrom, then the one you are trying to copy may be faulty. Or try Brasero or k3b - both GUI apps. If you use Brasero, you choose "Create a 1:1 copy of a CD" and then specify an ISO as output.
    that's weird that you would think it would be faulty, because I can read and write things to and from it just fine.

    ill try brasero

    and ill reply back.

    Wait did you mean the CDrom? or my cd drive? because I've been able to write things to cdroms and dvds just fine.
    Last edited by AlexOnVinyl; September 13th, 2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Updated reply

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: Natty 32bit - Help creating iso image from CDrom using Cli

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexOnVinyl View Post
    that's weird that you would think it would be faulty, because I can read and write things to and from it just fine.

    ill try brasero

    and ill reply back.

    Wait did you mean the CDrom? or my cd drive? because I've been able to write things to cdroms and dvds just fine.
    Yes, I was careless with my terminology. I was wondering if the actual CD disc was faulty. But a misreading optical drive could be another possibility.

    Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    180
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Natty 32bit - Help creating iso image from CDrom using Cli

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Yes, I was careless with my terminology. I was wondering if the actual CD disc was faulty. But a misreading optical drive could be another possibility.
    Just got done trying using it. It read it and started copy to an image file,

    I dont believe that if it was an actual issue with my drive that it would be able to burn files and images to cds like I have been, right? I mean if it was an issue with the drive, I dont think it'd read it at all.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: Natty 32bit - Help creating iso image from CDrom using Cli

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexOnVinyl View Post
    I dont believe that if it was an actual issue with my drive that it would be able to burn files and images to cds like I have been, right? I mean if it was an issue with the drive, I dont think it'd read it at all.
    Well.... I have a SATA CD/DVD drive that occasionally goes all moody on me. Most of the time it works well <snip>.

    I have no idea what is going on there.
    Last edited by bapoumba; September 14th, 2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: snipped out a comment.

    Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    180
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Natty 32bit - Help creating iso image from CDrom using Cli

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Well.... I have a SATA CD/DVD drive that occasionally goes all moody on me.<snip>.

    I have no idea what is going on there.
    I ran a few tests that you can look at on my video I made. they may help you help me identify the issue:

    ----
    For some reason the audio when it was processed decided to go fast and near chipmunk like. but either way, you'll still get to see what im talking about... Sorry for the shotty video o.O
    It may still be being processed, so give it a minute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-654IJnpGw
    Last edited by bapoumba; September 14th, 2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: snipped out quoted comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •