Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question which distro?

hi all ;

i just got a new dell inspiron 5110 which has :

intel i3 2.1 ghz (64 bit)
    4 gb ddr3 ram

now i have windows 7 home basic default os.. but i wanna instal ubuntu on my machine. i want to install 64 bit of ubuntu ? what do you prefer ? should i install 64 bit? which distro? 11.04? 10.04 ? i need help..

thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: which distro?

Given the fact that we do not know most of the hardware (graphics, networking, audio), I think it best to download several ISOs and test them, then install whichever works best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Given the fact that we do not know most of the hardware (graphics, networking, audio), I think it best to download several ISOs and test them, then install whichever works best.
    + 1 for testing with Live CDs

anf if this is your model

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/...32:201101-7008

** My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'd start with the current long-term support release, 10.04 LTS. As mentioned, test from the CD. I don't have the same machine but I have the same specs and Win7 dual-booting with Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10 and 11.04 on my Toshiba SatPro and it runs a treat (some releases better than others and some need more tweaking). Your setup will be different so, as I mentioned, I advise starting at the beginning and working from there and learning as you go. Good luck.

Beans

Yep, you should try a few releases on liveCD. But just FYI, I'm pretty happy with 11.04 64b on my Dell Vostro with Intel i3 processor. (Although my discrete AMD graphics card is useless on this version of Ubuntu)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aeronutt View Post
    (Although my discrete AMD graphics card is useless on this version of Ubuntu)
    Yep, that should work in 10.04 (and 10.10 I think). They'll get round to the ATI probs in 11.04 eventually or maybe never and 11.10 will have it fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I had installed Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit edition on my machine before, but a mysql workbench installation caused my entire system to crash. I reverted back to 10.04 edition only, my suggestion is go with an LTS in case you want to play safe.
    A stopped clock shows right time twice a day