Thread: Open-source NHS IT project

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Open-source NHS IT project

For those of you who are in the u.k. - I thought I'd start a petition to get the government to fund and open-source NHS IT project to service the IT needs of NHS hospitals. Tell me what you think, and if you're keen, vote here:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/5596

Thanks!

Duncan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Open-source NHS IT project

Would love to sign it, but for personal reasons, I am not giving my address-great idea, all the best.

Beans

Re: Open-source NHS IT project

You can make up an address if you so desire. You only need a email address to validate your signing.

However there is a lack of Open Source professionals in the market. Most of the IT professionals i know struggle with windows let alone Linux or anything else.

The cost of training and finding people qualified to provide administration and support would be more expensive than the licensing for proprietary software IMO.

Also the security concerns are great due to HIPAA and though Linux is more secure out of the box, the controls for Desktop environments, Kiosk style lock downs etc require greater skill and experience from the administrator.

Sadly Windows has its place as far as a Desktop Environment is concerned, as far as Servers are concerned alot of NHS establishments run Linux/Unix already.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013