Thread: Music Created Using UbuntuStudio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Music Created Using UbuntuStudio

For people wanting to check out what others are using UbuntuStudio for:

The latest album from Occurrences In Rain - "Influence Of Outside Systems" (their 4th) was recorded, mixed, etc. primarily on a computer running UbuntuStudio Maverick. Some of the open-source apps used were Audacity, Q-Tractor and Rakarrack. Wine was also used on a few tracks to allow access to a couple of non-Linux soft synths...

Anyone interested in taking a listen may do so at: http://soundcloud.com/occurrences-in...tside-systems/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Music Created Using UbuntuStudio

Thx 4 sharing! This was a nice post and I enjoyed checking out the music made on *nix.

Encore!

Beans

Nicely done pieces - not my style for general listening but a nice background to my internet browsing.

Perhaps this thread could become a platform for others to show off their linux creations. It might be good to see what others are managing to produce - particularly for newcomers who are struggling with the OS and apps. Its inspiring to see that others are managing to achieve great things.

I would set the trend by linking to something of mine but the truth is all I have are hastily recorded riffs and half cooked ideas in electronic format (I never seem to get anything finished). Perhaps Im the one that needs inspiring.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sylos View Post
    Nicely done pieces - not my style for general listening but a nice background to my internet browsing.

Perhaps this thread could become a platform for others to show off their linux creations. It might be good to see what others are managing to produce - particularly for newcomers who are struggling with the OS and apps. Its inspiring to see that others are managing to achieve great things.

I would set the trend by linking to something of mine but the truth is all I have are hastily recorded riffs and half cooked ideas in electronic format (I never seem to get anything finished). Perhaps Im the one that needs inspiring.
    Thank you for taking the time to listen to my music. It is greatly appreciated...

I agree with you - A thread where musicians who are creating/recording with Linux can showcase their work is a great idea. I am curious, though, as to whether this would be best achieved by letting this thread morph into said showcase, or whether it would be better to start with something entirely new... I guess I will leave it to the forum community and/or moderators to decide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the link to the site - definitely something I have been looking for.
    Ubuntu 14.04; AcerAspire AX1301-U1302

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Precipitous View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to listen to my music. It is greatly appreciated...

I agree with you - A thread where musicians who are creating/recording with Linux can showcase their work is a great idea. I am curious, though, as to whether this would be best achieved by letting this thread morph into said showcase, or whether it would be better to start with something entirely new... I guess I will leave it to the forum community and/or moderators to decide.
    Are you the sole contributor to the music? Do you form all of the soundscapes using synths or do you use samples of real world sounds too?

Sorry for th attempt at thread jacking - I'll force myself to at least half finish a track and maybe start a new 'show and tell' thread.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sylos View Post
    Are you the sole contributor to the music? Do you form all of the soundscapes using synths or do you use samples of real world sounds too?

Sorry for th attempt at thread jacking - I'll force myself to at least half finish a track and maybe start a new 'show and tell' thread.
    @Sylos - Thank you for your interest... Occurrences In Rain is a collaboration between myself and another musician named Bruno Janiszewski. I live in the US and he lives in Poland, so we do all composing, performing, recording, etc. over the web.

On SoundCloud if you click the link for each piece there are detailed notes describing the instruments and processing techniques used for that piece. For instance, the notes for the first piece "The Freezing Of The Sea Created A Perfect Solitude" read: "Guitar, AudioBulb Sophia, U-he Zebra, field recordings, various effects - made using UbuntuStudio...
    This piece started out as a set of guitar drones and picked chords which were copied four times. One of the copies was slowed by 50%. One was slowed by 50% and reversed. Another one was slowed by 25%, reversed, fed through a 24 second feedback delay, then through a 36 second feedback delay. Finally one was reversed and raised in pitch by five semi-tones. These, along with the original, were stacked and arranged. We then added multiple tracks of shortwave radio static, voices and marine forecasts recorded by Jobro, Toiletrolltube and 833-45 - made available through the FreeSound Project. Some of these were reduced in tempo by 10%-15% and some were left "as is". We finally added two tracks of AudioBulb Sophia and U-he Zebra background textures."

I hope this is of help...

Beans

this is 100% start to finish "made with Ubuntu"

http://holstein.bandcamp.com/

enjoy..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh789 View Post
    this is 100% start to finish "made with Ubuntu"