Thread: my hotmail is in Russian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question my hotmail is in Russian

Hi tech asvy forum users!
    my hotmail got changed to russian somehow this afternoon and I have no idea how to change it back. Can someone help me?
    ~Conradin~

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: my hotmail is in Russian

Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    my hotmail got changed to russian somehow this afternoon and I have no idea how to change it back. Can someone help me?
    Ditch hotmail. My inbox got deleted for no reason and then another account was locked because they claimed someone was using it to send spam and they told me I had to provide my cell phone number to unlock it. Then I found out the same thing happened to a lot of my friends who had hotmail accounts and giving them the cell phone number does not unlock it.

So I am done with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Ditch hotmail. My inbox got deleted for no reason and then another account was locked because they claimed someone was using it to send spam and they told me I had to provide my cell phone number to unlock it. Then I found out the same thing happened to a lot of my friends who had hotmail accounts and giving them the cell phone number does not unlock it.

So I am done with it.
    I mirror his sentiments, but if you choose to stay with Hotmail, I would definitely change my password immediately as soon as you get it back to English..
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Beans

Setup a gmail account for yourself and set it up to collect your mail from the hotmail servers.

After this every mail you reply to or send from gmail will have the return address/path as your gamil account. Send out a change of email address to all your contacts informing them of you new gmail address. Update all sites profiles where you have registered with your hotmail address to the new gmail address.

After about 3 months or so you should not really be receiving any mail (unless it's spam) in the hotmail account and then you can bin it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I did that when installing some sort of linux years ago.....

set my language to uk (I thought United Kingdom)

Turns out that's ukranian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi Conradin

I'm afraid you 'mail has been hacked, .. not just 'normal' hacked* but theyve been in and actually changed your settings. soo. I suggest:

1. contact Microsoft and complain.
    2. get a more trusted Email provider. everyone has there favs (I like Yahoo because
    they are loyal and don't ditch me if i loose my 'net) but there's Gmail, AOL, or
    from your ISP.

3. copy everything to the new email, via a mail client (thunderbird etc)

hope that helped.. even a little.

(man this is weird, ive been trying to write this and it keeps jumping around the post, and wont let me move things :S )

Dava

*they use your email as a proxy, and access your contacts list.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Youre all correct! Hotmail is my spam account, I figure holding spam is Mircosoft's job. My account may have been hacked, but i can still log in...
    ~Conradin~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Youre all correct! Hotmail is my spam account, I figure holding spam is Mircosoft's job. My account may have been hacked, but i can still log in...
    The hackers won't change your password in case you request a 'password change' and lock them out. In fact, I'm surprised they changed any settings, instead of just silently using your account without you realising.

Out of interest, was your password weak? - I've been wondering if these hotmail/gmail/yahoo email hackers are using brute force or some other method?