Thread: Old PCs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Old PCs

Hi, i have 2 old PCs that i repaired currently using XP, however i would love to use linux. and puppy was a hassle (deleted itself if it was ever shut-off improperly) not to mention XP seems to be faster for an odd reason.

now i know these computers won't handle gnome. they didn't even handle XFCE with Mint. however i'm wondering if i can install Ubuntu/based distro with no desktop environment. and open programs with say right click.

any ways, the better PC has somewhere around 350 megs of ram (i forgot) any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Old PCs

Have you tried wattOS it's based on Ubuntu but is made for older computers. You can also do a search on distrowatch to find a distro that would fit. I know KNOPPIX is good on old computers to.
    I have A Momentary Lapse of Reason | Learning to Fly <and looking for> Signs of Life <after> The Dogs of War <have had> One Slip, On the Turnning Away <but> Yet Another Movie <and> A New Machine <with> Terminal Frost <and> Sorrow. Linux Wallpapers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by techfighterminal View Post
    any ways, the better PC has somewhere around 350 megs of ram (i forgot) any suggestions?
    You can consider installing the minimal CD, and then installing X and LXDE (along with other programs as needed).

350M is quite ridiculous by current standards, but LXDE should manage to hold up. I don't think you will be able to use Firefox satisfactorily, but Opera and basic browsers such as Dillo will do quite well.

You can save time by directly installing an unofficial distro called lubunutu (?) which uses LXDE as the DM.

You can also get a huge performance boost (good enough to run Ubuntu 11.04 with classic Gnome) if you manage to get hold of a compatible PCI / AGP graphics adapter. Even as low as 4MB of video memory will make a huge difference, as it will free up system memory that is used for video memory. Used cards such as Trident, SiS, Riva TNT etc can be had quite cheaply. Note that SiS chipsets are difficult to install.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanx for the replies,, but i was really wondering about using no desktop environment... I've read somewhere you can use fluxbox with no D/E

this really was a desktop environment question..

as I've heard of, or tested many distros already..

Beans

Sure, Fluxbox, Openbox, IceWM, JWM, Awesome, Ratpoison, etc.

SliTaz, Puppy, or TinyCore will give you a nice, minimalist platform for experimenting with different window managers.

Beans

Crunchbang #!
    http://crunchbanglinux.org/

Is based on Debian 6 (squeeze) and has both xfce/openbox desktops in 32/64 versions.
    Ubuntu User number is # 33337, Linux Registered User #531864, Boot info script, Wireless info script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'll Try Crunchbag, as this is not the first I've heard it.. tinycore as well
    You can break a window..
    You can eat an apple...
    But Penguins fight back..

Beans

Also ArchBang is available too!
    Ubuntu User number is # 33337, Linux Registered User #531864, Boot info script, Wireless info script