Thread: Grub error, no such partition?

Beans

Grub error, no such partition?

Hi, I bought an Asus K53SJ last week and installed an Ubuntu partition yesterday. For some reason this caused my AKT0100 driver to screw up and P4G stopped working. To try to fix this I restored the windows 7 factory defaults using the recovery partition, only replacing the windows partition, keeping the ubuntu partition. When I did this, the 'windows' option on the boot screen failed to initialise windows so I thought I'd just reset the whole thing and try installing ubuntu later. So I did a recovery partition of the whole HD, including the ubuntu partition. Now when I start my computer I get the message:
    error: no such partition
    grub rescue>

I tried restoring the windows bootloader according to this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708, by downloading a win 7 recovery disc, but the DVD (it's a DVD-RW if that's at all significant) won't boot when I start up the computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Grub error, no such partition?

I had this same msg when i deleted one of my ubuntu partitions....i couldnt do anything....finally saved my important data using ubuntu live cd and then installed ubuntu again.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Follow the instructions here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=508927

This works. I have used it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Raja

రాజ శేఖర్ రెడ్డి

Beans

Hi guys, I've reinstalled Ubuntu and this seems to have fixed the issue (I was planning on installing it later on anyway). Thanks for you help.
    Quick question: Even though I had restored my laptop to factory state and removed all partitions prior to reinstalling ubuntu, would the previous ubuntu installation have left anything on my laptop that might slow it down or be a problem in the future? I'm wondering because the MBR kept ubuntus changes even after ubuntu was uninstalled, might there be other changes like this have been left that need to be fixed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

that old install will not make you any problem.
    Raja

రాజ శేఖర్ రెడ్డి