Hi there!

I just bought a new ASUS X53SV laptop with Windows 7 on it. But ever since i have my own computer, i have a dual boot system with Ubuntu, so why change it this time. I decided to go for the 64 bit. After installing my favorite stuff i tried to simply enjoy it. These are the things, that are still giving me a headache:

1. The Nvidia Geforce GT 540M video driver is not working. I have crummy image, things like Compiz, TORCS etc. won't run, AWN looks like stone age.
I have downloaded the proper Nvidia driver from Nvidia homepage, and tried to run it as root, but i got the following message: ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing. For further details please see the section INSTALLING THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
I tried to google it, but no luck.

2. Some functions of the Fn key are not working. Till now it only reacted to the brightness buttons, the SRT/VGA switcher, and the Insert button. But i cannot set the sound for example, or switch the touch pad on or off.

Well, that's it for now. If anyone could help me with these, i would be really grateful.