Distro and release (eg. Ubuntu 10.10, Fedora 13):
Mythbuntu 10.10

Full version of the MythTV Backend package (eg. dpkg -l mythtv-backend*):
||/ Name Version Description
ii mythtv-backend 2:0.24.0+fixes A personal video recorder application (serve
ii mythtv-backend 2:0.24.0+fixes Metapackage to setup and configure a "Master

Where you get your mythtv packages from (standard repos, avenard repos, mythbuntu repos, compile from source, etc):

Kernel Version (uname -a):
Linux mythtv 2.6.35-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 2 02:41:37 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Tuners you see the issue on:
I have 2 HDHomeRun Network-based Tuners - one configured for QAM, the other for ATSC. I've periodically seen 0-byte recordings on both.

I believe the issue is related to signal quality. My (unconfirmed) theory is that if there is weak or no signal in the first few seconds of a recording, the attempt fails and we get a 0-byte recording.

For example, in poor weather (when ATSC reception suffers), I tend to get 0-byte recordings with greater frequency.

The best confirmation of this may have been from the last time I got a 0-byte recording - turned out that the tuner card had actually been accidentally unplugged. The mythbackend apparently didn't detect this and attempted to record on the unavailable tuner anyway. This theory should be easy to test, though I haven't gotten around to doing so yet to confirm this wasn't just a coincidence.

In either case, I think these issues do illustrate a potential bug (lack of feature?) in the backend - If a tuner is not available, or if a recordings reception fails (size/length is 0, or significantly less than expected) the system should not flag the episode as recorded, and further delete the recording if the size is below some threshold. Ideally (or does it do this already?), if multiple tuners are available, it should treat a lack of signal-lock as a busy tuner allowing it to try any other free tuners which may or may not have better reception.