Thread: Intermittent Black Monitor Problems

Beans

Intermittent Black Monitor Problems

Hi.

I'm really ready to make the jump away from Windows to Linux (Ubuntu 11.4). I have a Panasonic Let's Note CF-W2 with 750 MB RAM and a Pent. M 900 MhZ GPU. The problem is that the display on the box 'works' but is cracked and the plasma has leaked making it invisible except for one small corner. I attached a Samsung Syncmaster 15' to the VGA port which worked fine under XP (I could toggle off the laptop monitor).

I installed Ubuntu (and wiped everything Windows!) with the cd and all went well. I didn't have the hardware for Infinity though. It booted the first time out but I could not configure the monitors (i.e. turn the dead one off). Now, however, mostly the monitors won't turn at all when I boot (it goes to the white and gray striped bios (?) screen fine and the 'jungle' chime). I can boot on the CD, and for some reason when I reboot it temporarily resolves the issue. I can also usually get the displays to work by holding down escape and choosing 'resume normal' (something like that). Once booted, it will sleep and wake normally. I also have a usb keyboard that works fine during start up, but troubleshooting that made no difference.

The only diagnostics I could think of resulted in the message shown in the attached pic- unknown device. I guess I need a special config in terminal?

Thanks in advance!

Philip
    Attached Images Attached Images

wep940 is offline Skinny Soy Caramel Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Intermittent Black Monitor Problems

What screen did you capture the image from as it seems to be working fine?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wep940 View Post
    What screen did you capture the image from as it seems to be working fine?
    From the Samsung external. The laptop monitor is broken and looks like a lava lamp, though I expect it is registering. The problem is that both screens are blank during boot. If one screen works, so does the other.

What scripts can I run?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Duplicate thread closed.