Thread: [video editing] rotate video 90 degrees

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

[video editing] rotate video 90 degrees

I have a video that I had to record with the camera sideways. I now need to rotate the video 90% so the video plays right. I tried Kimo and Pitivi, but neither of them do video rotation for some reason (or at least I couldn't figure out how). Anyone have any suggestions on a simple program that runs on Natty that will rotate video 90 degrees?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [video editing] rotate video 90 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by nbv4 View Post
    I have a video that I had to record with the camera sideways. I now need to rotate the video 90% so the video plays right. I tried Kimo and Pitivi, but neither of them do video rotation for some reason (or at least I couldn't figure out how). Anyone have any suggestions on a simple program that runs on Natty that will rotate video 90 degrees?
    It's not a often requested feature, so that is why these programs likely can't do that. You might be able to get ffmpeg to do it though, as that is usually pretty powerful.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    "if you simply want to rotate the video while you watch it, we’ll show you how to accomplish that with VLC Media Player. If you want to convert the video so it is rotated permanently, we’ll show you how to do that with Windows Live Movie Maker and output your video as a WMV file."

Beans

FFmpeg can do this as tgm4883 mentioned, but you will need to compile it yourself first because the repository version (as of Natty) does not include filters. Compiling FFmpeg is easy with these instructions:

HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Example. This will rotate the video 90 degrees clockwise, encoded as H.264 video in MKV container. The audio will simply be copied (no audio re-encoding):
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input -vcodec libx264 -preset medium -crf 24 -threads 0 -vf transpose=1 -acodec copy output.mkv
    More info on the transpose filter can be found in with the man ffmpeg command.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; June 15th, 2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: add "as of Natty"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I was also looking for a way to do this and found this other thread which solved my problem: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=825971

avidemux worked like a charm to me.