Thread: MacBook 8,1 Trackpad issue

Beans

Question MacBook 8,1 Trackpad issue

Greetings,

I have a MacBook 8,1 (picked it up the day they came out, not expecting to journey down the road of Linux) Now I wish I would have stayed with the 7,1 I had picked up the Sunday before the 8,1 dropped (Or the Air 3,1 before that)... Anyway I am having trackpad issues.

I don't have multitouch support (not really that big of a deal to me, even though I find my self trying to swipe three fingers from right to left in an attempt to go back a page sometimes...) The thing that I wished worked properly was tap to click. I have to disable tap to click as my palms will 'click' and cause erratic pointer behaviour as I type. I would love to be able to turn on tap to click, and not have my pointer be all over the place, clicking on things I don't want it to click on.

Any suggestions?

J

Beans

Re: MacBook 8,1 Trackpad issue

This is a known problem, at least I have noticed this. When you tap with your thumbs, the pointer jumps all over the place.

I don't consider multitouch working on these buttonless trackpads in ubuntu. Switch back to mac os x and you'll see that there is still a world of difference in terms of usability.

There is a multitouch alternative driver out there, but it requires alot of reading and a high tolerance for fudging around until you get it the way that you want it. I still haven't been able to get the trackpad to anywhere near a good level of usability however. Had apple just stuck with the old one button trackpad, things would be working flawlessly in ubuntu.

Beans

Re: MacBook 8,1 Trackpad issue

Quote Originally Posted by unagimiyagi View Post
    This is a known problem, at least I have noticed this. When you tap with your thumbs, the pointer jumps all over the place.

I don't consider multitouch working on these buttonless trackpads in ubuntu. Switch back to mac os x and you'll see that there is still a world of difference in terms of usability.

There is a multitouch alternative driver out there, but it requires alot of reading and a high tolerance for fudging around until you get it the way that you want it. I still haven't been able to get the trackpad to anywhere near a good level of usability however. Had apple just stuck with the old one button trackpad, things would be working flawlessly in ubuntu.

I've given thought to filing a bug report against it. I don't think it's as the fact that it's 'buttonless' as it is some quirky setting that is buried somewhere that is going to be a PITA to change. I still think this may be resolvable using the xorg.conf file, but I haven't had time to sit down and try to fool with it. I have a working system now, and i don't really want to break it if I can help it...

J.