Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeitgeist Datahub Purpose in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Zeitgeist Datahub Purpose in Ubuntu

From what I can tell Zeitgeist is some sort of data logger, and also something relating to Gnome. What purpose does it serve in Ubuntu and would removing it cause any problems?

Cheers,

- Shiny

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Zeitgeist Datahub Purpose in Ubuntu

I'm interested in the answer to this too.

As I understand it, it keeps a database of which files you open and which applications you run. Unity makes extensive use of it to populate its dash and so forth. The idea is that unity will preferentially present you with the stuff you use most frequently. The new Gnome Shell also uses it for much the same purpose. So this isn't just a Unity issue. There is supposed to eventually be a privacy tool that permits you to turn it off and on and control what kinds of data it records, but I don't think they have this part working yet.

I suspect removing it would probably break unity. But it might not be such a problem if you are running the classic desktop.
    Last edited by hawthornso23; June 2nd, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Beans

There is an Activity Log Manager available from the Zeitgeist PPA.
    You must first upgrade Zeitgeist from this PPA before installing Activity Log Manager.
    Install Activity Log Manager for Zeitgeist
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for all your replies. Sorry for the slow response, have been away for a few days.

hawthornso23: I figured just about the same actually. I had it disabled on my test machine for a while and it doesn't seem to cause any issues. Also, I use the Ubuntu classic desktop environment, Gnome. I've always disliked unity.

Beans
    Distro

You can safely remove the zeitgeist-core package if you are using the Classic Desktop. Afterwards, delete the "$HOME/.local/share/zeitgeist/" folder.

Zeitgeist is in the default Ubuntu Natty install because the unity package recommends the unity-place-application package, which depends on the zeitgeist-extension-fts package.

Zeitgeist seems like a non-feature in Natty. I think that most people would uninstall it if they understood that it records desktop activity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Also, it was using about 74 % CPU on one core of my AMD E350 right now, for some reason... I'm removing it now.

Beans
    Distro

I wondered what was causing my machine to trash the disk for nearly five minutes when I log in. I uninstalled this junk that I don't want and suddenly as if by magic my logins are as fast as they were a couple of versions back.

Ugh, I see that it's using sqlite, so I'm not surprised that it runs like crap if it's doing lots of database updates whenever I log in; sqlite has its place but database writes are exceedingly slow compared to a real database.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    There is an Activity Log Manager available from the Zeitgeist PPA.
    You must first upgrade Zeitgeist from this PPA before installing Activity Log Manager.
    WOW!

Was hoping for a simpler way to do this, right inside of Natty already!
    Ubuntu 12.04 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram and Dual booting: Ubuntu 11.04 64bit Ext4 & 32bit Vista Home Premium, on a Toshiba laptop dual core AMD Turion 64, 2.0 GHz, 4GB ram.

Beans
    Distro

Does this just disable the logging feature or will it ruin Unity all together? I use classic but other users on the PC use Unity. Also, I am on an SSD so where does it store it's info & do it's "disk trashing"? Is it in the /home folders or / ?
    Biostar A780L3G / AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition / Zeus 650W PS / PCIe GEForce 9500 / Crucial 4GB DDR3 1066 /
    Barracuda 1TB 3.0Gbs 7200RPM / Solid3 120GB SSD / Inside the ANTEC Two Hundred

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not sure what it does either. But I disabled it in Startup Applications and things seem to be great.
    Fix your sound problem in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala and older versions.
    http://www.fixya.com/support/r377614...blem_in_ubuntu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast