Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: restoring a backup

Beans

restoring a backup

Hi guys,

A couple of days ago I made a backup of my database via mythbuntu control center, Now I tried to restore it it gives me the following error(I also oticed everytime I make a backup it is only 1.2KB in size!!)

Code:
    org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.RuntimeError
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/dbus/service.py", line 702, in _message_cb
        retval = candidate_method(self, *args, **keywords)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/MythbuntuControlCentre/backend.py", line 252, in scriptedchanges
        for item in plugin_dictionary:
    RuntimeError: dictionary changed size during iteration
    I am using mythbuntu 11.04. Any idea guys how to fix this please?

Thanks.
    Mythtv 0.24 FE/BE
    Graphic card: nvidia geforce 9400GT, CPU: core2duo 2.88GHZ
    MB:GA-G41M-ES2L, 2GB RAM, 20GB HDD,160 GB external HDD for recording. TBS6980 dual tuner, PSU:550w GE-P450P-C2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: restoring a backup

Quote Originally Posted by sami8519 View Post
    Hi guys,

A couple of days ago I made a backup of my database via mythbuntu control center, Now I tried to restore it it gives me the following error(I also oticed everytime I make a backup it is only 1.2KB in size!!)

Code:
    org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.RuntimeError
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/MythbuntuControlCentre/backend.py", line 252, in scriptedchanges
    I am using mythbuntu 11.04. Any idea guys how to fix this please?

Thanks.
    If you backed up the database then that is way too small for a backup. The backup file is just a regular tar.gz file. You should be able to open it up and see what is inside.

If you didn't back up the database, then that could be the correct size. It is only backing up certain config files and text is pretty compressable.

As for the error message, that should have been fixed in 11.04, but I can't find the commit. I'm looking into that.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans

same problem - 11.04

Beans

similar problem. I am also running 11.4 and the backup file was only 6k.

Code:
    thanks

Beans
    Distro

What OS did you backup from?

Did you select the backup DB option?

Can you send me a copy of the backup file ( tgm4883 DOT mythbuntu DOT org )

Beans

I backed up the database from a different computer running 11.4. Originally the computer was running 10.10 then had mythtv upgraded to .25 then had the ubuntu upgraded to 11.4. I used mythbuntu control centre and checked the backup database box. Message sent.
    thanks for the help
    bryan

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I'm looking into the issue right now. This backup file definitely doesn't have a backup of the database in it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    Thanks, I'm looking into the issue right now. This backup file definitely doesn't have a backup of the database in it.
    Ok, I've hunted down the issue with the restoring. It is currently being worked on as it appears to be an issue with MCC, not mythbuntu-bare.

In the process of hunting that down, I found a bug with the backing up of the database. If you used mythbuntu-bare to do a backup and checked the database backup box it is highly likely that the database didn't get backed up.

Beans

Thanks mate for the help. I have just opened the backup in it has two folders(etc and tmp). Those files are inside the etcmythtv/config.xml and mysql.txt, /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts). tmp has an empty folder mythbuntu bare.

Sorry but what is mythbuntu-bare and how to use it to backup the database? Does the database contain the recordings and livetv? I am only interested in backing up my channels and general settings and I don't know what is the simplest way to do so. Thank you.

Best regards,
    Sami
    Mythtv 0.24 FE/BE
    Graphic card: nvidia geforce 9400GT, CPU: core2duo 2.88GHZ
    MB:GA-G41M-ES2L, 2GB RAM, 20GB HDD,160 GB external HDD for recording. TBS6980 dual tuner, PSU:550w GE-P450P-C2

Beans

Until about mythtv ver. .022 or so, most people tended to back up mythconverg with simple one- or two-line bash scripts based on mysqldump and run as a daily cron job, more or less along the following lines:

mysqldump -u mythtv -pPASSWORD mythconverg -c | gzip -c > /home/mythtv/mythtv_backup.`date '+%w'`.sql.gz

With maybe another line added to the script if desired to copy each gzipped backup to a second location. When one needed to restore a database, one would gunzip a copy of the desired backup and from a prompt do a

$mysql -u mythtv -pPASSWORD mythconverg < mythtv_backup.[WHICHEVER].sql

I was suprised to find not too long ago, considering the amount of obsolete cruft that litters the mythtv wiki site, that all references to such simple older methods are scrubbed from the mythtv wiki in favor of the lengthy perl script that is evidently the only currently sanctioned method.

I could be wrong, but nevertheless, I don't see why the older method couldn't still be used, and would certainly be simple to debug.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast