Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X fails to load with nvidia driver: "screen(s) found, but none have a usable config"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

X fails to load with nvidia driver: "screen(s) found, but none have a usable config"

Hey guys. I'm going crazy here, hopefully somebody can give me a hand.

My system is a Lenovo B500 All-In-One, with an Nvidia GTS 250M video card. nv seems to work okay, but I cannot get the desktop to load with the nvidia driver (nvidia-current, from the repository). I've been hacking away at this for a week and a half with no results. Every time I try to boot with the nvidia driver, the splash screen comes up for a second, the screen flashes a couple times between a "static" screen and tty2, then the screen seems to go to a test mode, where it flashes a series of solid colors indefinitely. Looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, I see the following:

Code:
    (II) May 08 19:06:53 NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
    (II) May 08 19:06:53 NVIDIA(0):     enabled.
    (WW) May 08 19:06:54 NVIDIA(0): Failed to enable display hotplug notification
    (II) May 08 19:06:54 NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce GTS 250M (GT215) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
    (--) May 08 19:06:54 NVIDIA(0): Memory: 1048576 kBytes
    (--) May 08 19:06:54 NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 70.15.0b.00.00
    (II) May 08 19:06:54 NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X
    (--) May 08 19:06:54 NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
    (--) May 08 19:06:54 NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce GTS 250M at PCI:1:0:0:
    (--) May 08 19:06:54 NVIDIA(0):     none
    (EE) May 08 19:06:54 NVIDIA(0): No display devices found for this X screen.
    (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
    (II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
    (II) UnloadModule: "fb"
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    Every single time for the last week and a half.

Stuff I've tried:

* Using the xorg-edgers ppa packages
    * The upstream .run file from nvidia
    * Setting a custom modeline
    * Extracting the EDID information from the Windows installation and calling it in xorg.conf
    * Turning off UseEDID altogether
    * A bunch of other stuff, honestly it's all starting to blur together now

Versions of Ubuntu I've tried:

* Kubuntu 10.04, 64 and 32 bit
    * Ubuntu 10.04, 64 bit
    * Kubuntu 9.10, 64 and 32 bit

Attached are the latest iterations of my /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If there's anything else I could provide, just ask. Any help would be so very much appreciated. Seriously, this is driving me to drink.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "We reject kings, presidents and voting. We believe in rough consensus and running code." -Dave Clark, IETF

Howto: Enable Restricted Media Formats - Add Extra Repositories Auto-Magicallly! - RTFM (pages) - Help Thyself!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: X fails to load with nvidia driver: "screen(s) found, but none have a usable conf

*bump
    "We reject kings, presidents and voting. We believe in rough consensus and running code." -Dave Clark, IETF

Howto: Enable Restricted Media Formats - Add Extra Repositories Auto-Magicallly! - RTFM (pages) - Help Thyself!

Beans

Exclamation Re: X fails to load with nvidia driver: "screen(s) found, but none have a usable conf

Hey,

I was having exactly the same problem (with a vaio vpcf11c5e), and solved with the EDID workaround.

I followed exactly these instructions: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...3&postcount=22

(used the softMCCS program to extract the EDID from windows 7)

I'm using ubuntu 10.04 amd64, kernel 2.6.32-22-generic.

Cheers,

Paulo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: X fails to load with nvidia driver: "screen(s) found, but none have a usable conf

Hot damn, mark it SOLVED! I had previously tried to extract an EDID from the Windows partition, but I had saved it as a *.raw file, and didn't include the "ConnectedMonitor" line. This totally worked! W00T!!!!!11!eleven!

Seriously, you have made my entire last two weeks totally worthwhile. I cannot thank you enough!

EDIT
    ---

For the sake of anyone finding this post through Google, here's the fix.

0. Not have deleted the Windows 7 installation that the machine shipped with (not too many times do I find myself saying anything like that, but there ya go)
    1. Using softMCCS, save the EDID from Windows 7 as edid.bin (it is IMPORTANT that you save this as a .bin file, .raw did not work for me). Save this to a thumb drive.
    2. Boot Ubuntu to the recovery console, and save the edid.bin file in /etc/X11 (or wherever, but I found this to be convenient)
    3. Add the following to the "Device" section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
    Code:
    "Option" "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
    "Option" "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etct/X11/edid.bin"
    4. Reboot. You're all set.

Thanks again, Paulo.
    Last edited by TeeAhr1; May 14th, 2010 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Detailed fix instructions

Beans

Im going crazy here. How do I download this SoftMCCS ? There isnt a link on the site.. is it just me ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by b00ey View Post
    Im going crazy here. How do I download this SoftMCCS ? There isnt a link on the site.. is it just me ?
    Hi,
    check here:
    http://www.entechtaiwan.com/lib/softmccs.shtm

bye

Beans

I have uninstalled the windows 7. Is the edid.bin the same for all B500 (with GeForce GTS 250M)?
    if so, can somebody share yours for me? thank you ahead.

Beans

Angry Re: X fails to load with nvidia driver: "screen(s) found, but none have a usable conf

I have run into a similar problem. Unfortunately, dumping the EDID and loading it did not help.
    nVidia drivers find the GT218 chip but say:

(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Invalid ConnectedMonitor request; request was for 'DFP-0', but
    (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): the valid display devices are ''

and of course
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): No display devices found for this X screen.

The problem is probably that the intel card is still given the DFP-0 connector and nVidia cannot see it. I tried using the acpi_call but I get:
    acpi_call: Cannot get handle: Error: AE_NOT_FOUND

The test script for acpi_call fails at all calls! Please help!

Beans

Yeah, these instructions helped a lot. Thanks! While I can now start X without errors (on a brand new natty installation) using nvidia-current, GDM starts up but there is no video output - just a blank/black screen. I can hear the "drumroll" so I know that GDM has started. That, plus there are no error messages in Xorg.x.log and gdm.log. Clues?

Beans

Same problem as tvaughan right now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast