Thread: System76 Lemur UltraThin 13.3"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

System76 Lemur UltraThin 13.3"

How long does the battery last on a single charge for the new System76 Lemur UltraThin 13.3" laptop?

I am interested in purchasing the 62.16 WH battery. How long does this battery last on a single charge for the new System76 Lemur UltraThin 13.3" laptop?

Thank you.

Beans

Re: System76 Lemur UltraThin 13.3"

I get an hour and a half to two hours on the regular battery.

Double that for the 62 WH.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How do you like your System76 Lemur UltraThin 13.3" laptop?

I am thinking about getting one for myself. I own an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC which is a powerful desktop replacement running Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit Natty Narwhal. It is almost fully compatible with Ubuntu except it has nVIDIA Optimus so the nVIDIA GeForce GT 325M GPU is not used. It has a 16" screen and it weighs 6.00 pounds.

I want something that is much lighter and smaller to carry around campus when I go to New Jersey Institute of Technology or Polytechnic Institute at New York University.

Beans

I did a review of it on my blog.

Check that out if you want a outline of the majority of my thoughts. Should you not want to read all of it, I'll summarize and say: I love the Lemur. The only main con about it is battery life, so make sure that's not important to you before buying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lemur UltraThin
    - Operating System Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit
    - Processor Core i3-330UM Processor ( 32nm, 3MB L3 Cache, 1.20GHz, 18 Watt )
    - Memory 2 GB - DDR3 800 MHZ 1 DIMMs
    - Hard Drive 500GB 7200rpm SATA Hybrid Hard Drive with 4GB SSD
    - Optical Drive no optical drive
    - Wireless Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
    - Bluetooth Bluetooth
    - Extra Battery Lemur UltraThin Li-Polymer Battery Pack - 62.16 WH
    - Extra AC Adapter no extra AC adapter
    - Car AC Adapter no car AC adapter
    - Laptop Bag no bag
    - Hardware Warranty 1 Yr. Ltd. Warranty and 1 Yr. Technical Support
    - Recycle Your Old Computer no, thank you

Thank you for posting your review of your Lemur UltraThin 13.3" laptop from System76. I plan on upgrading mine from the stock configuration with the above hardware specifications. So, I am expecting that mine lasts 4.00 hours with the higher capacity Lithium Ion battery and it should have a stronger 802.11 A/B/G/N Wi-Fi connection along with a much faster Seagate Momentus Hybrid Hard Drive and 4.00 GB of DDR3 SDRAM which I can upgrade later on.

I should place my order by mid August 2011. I should receive it before the end of August 2011 which will be well before the start of the fall 2011 semester for me at New Jersey Institute of Technology. I will use my Lemur UltraThin 13.3" laptop for academic research and to do work for my graduate courses.

I own an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC with 8.00 GB of DDR3 PC-8500 SDRAM and an Intel 2nd Generation 34nm 160.00 GB Solid State Drive. It is too big and heavy to lug around campus for me. I am looking for something that is much lighter and smaller yet powerful enough for my needs.

I use Google Chrome, Thunderbird, Evolution, Calibre, Code::Blocks, VPNC, and VLC fairly often. I plan to keep Ubuntu 64 bit and I will upgrade when Canonical releases future versions.

I need the higher capacity battery because I registered for 12.00 credit hours of 4 courses this fall 2011 semester and next spring 2012 semester as well. Each class lasts 80.00 minutes and I might have up to three classes per day. My courses usually require me to download Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point documents to get chapter notes, homework assignments, and projects and I usually need to produce LibreOffice documents that are compatible with Microsoft Office 2007. I also need a large capacity hard drive since I will be taking a total of 13 courses to earn my Masters of Science in IT Administration and Security degree from NJIT by December 2012. I figured the new Seagate Hybrid hard drive with a SATA-II 500.00 GB 7,200 RPM and 4.00 GB of Solid State Flash NAND memory would be a good compromise between price, capacity, and performance. Lastly, I need 4.00 GB of DDR3 SDRAM to run multiple software applications concurrently and I also need the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 802.11 A/B/G/N Wi-Fi to achieve the strongest and fastest wireless connection while on campus and at home.

What do you think about my configuration? Do you have any suggestions?
    Last edited by Welly Wu; May 3rd, 2011 at 09:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

System76:

When will you refresh your Lemur UltraThin model to include the new Intel Sandy Bridge CPU options? Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We're not working on a Lemur refresh at this time. While things can change rapidly, the Lemur is not one of the systems we have in R&D.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!