Thread: Lubuntu and System76 Driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lubuntu and System76 Driver

--I currently have Ubuntu 10.04 installed on my star1. While everything works wonderfully, it is a little sluggish (I was never a fan of the UNR and have always just kept the desktop version of Ubuntu installed). So last night I downloaded Lubuntu and made a bootable USB in order to try it out. I was extremely impressed, everything was quite a bit snappier as expected. So I'm interested in installing this on my Starling, will I have any issues in getting the System76 driver installed? Of course it's a must for the wireless issues...otherwise the netbook is basically useless. I know the System76 driver is truly only guaranteed to work with the Ubuntu, but wanted to know if there were any obvious reasons why it wouldn't work with Lubuntu. Any help/insight is appreciated.
    Cooler Master HAF 922, Gigabyte 870A-UD3, AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz, Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3-1333, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W, EVGA NVIDIA GT220 1GB DDR3 PCI-E, Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM x 2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Lubuntu and System76 Driver

I'm not a programmer, but I recall reading here that the driver package is basically a Perl script that "reads" what version of ubuntu you have installed and then installs the correct binary bits to make the wireless usable, along with other tweaks I assume. hopefully, a S76 rep will chime in and answer with more specific details. specifically will it recognize Lubuntu and will the driver work. Good luck.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You shouldn't have any trouble as long as Lubuntu reports itself as Ubuntu. Then, it's just like Kubuntu or Xubuntu, etc.

That said, we seem to have a bug floating around that breaks wireless on 10.04 with the latest System76 Driver. We haven't confirmed this, but we are looking into it.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ahhh so that may explain my wireless issues as of late...if I just rollback the driver version, I should be back up and running, right?
    Cooler Master HAF 922, Gigabyte 870A-UD3, AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz, Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3-1333, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W, EVGA NVIDIA GT220 1GB DDR3 PCI-E, Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM x 2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In theory, and it's definitely worth a try.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I have a panp5, circa Summer 2009. I'm going to give Unity a try on LiveCD or in VirtualBox. But I'm trying to do some leg work ahead of time on other options if I don't like Unity. I did a LiveCD of Mint 10 and wireless worked no problem. I did not try the webcam yet. I also downloaded Xubuntu 11.04 and tried it on LiveCD and wireless worked [but did not try the webcam].

So a couple of questions:
    1] Besides wireless and the webcam, what else does the System76 driver likely provide for a panp5 for August 2009?

2] A comment in this tread intimated that Xubuntu will "identify itself" as Ubuntu and the inference is that the System76 driver will work no problem for Xubuntu. Did I understand that correctly? If I do a fresh install of Xubuntu 11.04 can I download and install the System76 driver?

3] Forgive my ignorance but did wireless work on the Mint 10 LiveCD test because of the System76 driver that is present in the Ubuntu 10.04 install OR did I just get luck that Mint 10 recognized the wireless card? Might I also get so lucky with the webcam?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by dct35115 View Post
    2] A comment in this tread intimated that Xubuntu will "identify itself" as Ubuntu and the inference is that the System76 driver will work no problem for Xubuntu. Did I understand that correctly? If I do a fresh install of Xubuntu 11.04 can I download and install the System76 driver?
    The System76 drivers work fine with Xubuntu

jdb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jdb View Post
    The System76 drivers work fine with Xubuntu

jdb
    Awesome! I was just coming in here to ask this exact question since I hope to move from Ubuntu 10.04 to Xubuntu 11.04 on my PanP5. Also just curious what Network Manager comes with Xubuntu? I like the one that Gnome uses, which I think is just called NetworkManager, but i wasn't sure if Xubuntu used something else.

Thanks

Sam
    Linux User since 1996, #242069
    System 76 PanP5 - 64bit Xubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by samalex View Post
    Awesome! I was just coming in here to ask this exact question since I hope to move from Ubuntu 10.04 to Xubuntu 11.04 on my PanP5. Also just curious what Network Manager comes with Xubuntu? I like the one that Gnome uses, which I think is just called NetworkManager, but i wasn't sure if Xubuntu used something else.

Thanks

Sam
    It comes with network-manager.

jdb