Thread: How can I move the unity panels to the second monitor?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How can I move the unity panels to the second monitor?

Hello.

I am really wanting to give unity a fair chance. But there's something that makes it close to unusable: I can't figure out how to move the unity bars (the top one, and the launchers) to my second monitor. Without doing that fullscreen applications, which I like to run on the larger screen, keep me from seeing my clock, my launchers, my notifications.

In classic gnome environment, that was as easy as "alt+dragging" the panel to the screen I want it on.

I'd be gratefull for any hints.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How can I move the unity panels to the second monitor?

You can set either monitor to be the main one on the monitor settings and the panel that goes to that monitor, if that helps at all. You can't move them otherwise though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As has been stated elsewhere in the subforum, the dual-monitor problem is being worked on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for the answers. I tried switching the "make this screen the default ..." setting in nvidia-settings around. Here is what seems to work:

turn on second screen -> hit the make this screen default checkbox for second screen -> apply -> cancel -> go to first screen -> now mark hits on as default -> apply again -> panel moves to second screen.

yeah... a bit weird, to say the least.

Good to hear this is getting worked on - there is still sooo much changing, and so much needing change. I'm seriously impressed at the progress.

Beans

Code:
    xrandr
    to get a list of your video outputs, then:
    Code:
    xrandr --output $monitor_you_want_from_previous_step --primary

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t.rei View Post
    Thanks for the answers. I tried switching the "make this screen the default ..." setting in nvidia-settings around. Here is what seems to work:

turn on second screen -> hit the make this screen default checkbox for second screen -> apply -> cancel -> go to first screen -> now mark hits on as default -> apply again -> panel moves to second screen.

yeah... a bit weird, to say the least.

Good to hear this is getting worked on - there is still sooo much changing, and so much needing change. I'm seriously impressed at the progress.
    This did not work for me.

I hope it gets worked on and fixed. It's ironic that the idea behind Unity is to utilize horizontal space for ease of use. But the fact is, with me having two widescreen monitors with my right monitor being my main, it is a TOTAL pain in the *** to have to swing my mouse over across both monitors to do my thing. Having the unity bar on the left side of the main monitor (in the area in between the two monitors) would be completely ideal...

I'll hang on to hope for it to change. If not, it's Linux - there's endless alternatives.
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Beans

Any update on this? I'm curious if it'll be available during its initial release.
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.