Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Screen on boot after upgrading to 11.04

Beans

Black Screen on boot after upgrading to 11.04

Hi, I upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04 a couple of days ago, and after grub it goes straight to black screen. I am running a Aspire5736Z,Intel Pentium T4500, Intel GMA 4500M card x64 bit machine. Had no problems with Ubuntu 10.10, worked perfectly. I notice quite a few other people have similar problems, but no resolution yet. Has anybody been able to ete this fixed?
    Last edited by jakewc2; April 14th, 2011 at 11:53 AM.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Black Screen on boot after upgrading to 11.04

to let you know about errors while booting, remove "splash" from boot line (can be permanent tweaking /etc/default/grub, then sudo update-grub)

Beans

Are you talking about going into grub, then pressing e and removing splash from there.....already tried that. If it will give some errors, how do I get those back to show you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

had similar problems awhile back > nvidia video card drivers.
    * Peppermint 2 * AMD Sempron 2600+ * 1 gig ddr-400 ram * nvidia geforce 6200-512mb agp 8x *
    * AOC 24" @ 1920by1200 * 3G mobile broadband * browsers: chromium / opera *

`Yes that's my dog, his name is mups'

Beans

Ah, mine isnt an nvidia, its a Intel GMA. How did you get around it?

Beans

I cant even get into recovery mode, because exactly the same thing happens, the screen goes black. even tried fresh install over the top using live cd, and even that caused the screen to go black. I think something is turning off the backlight, as soon as you try to boot into the Natty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Had that problem with an Nvidia card and recovery mode did not work. Just re-installed 11.04 daily build today without any extras and now everything seems to be working (haven't tried compiz yet !)
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was getting into a gui using recovery > failsafe graphics for this session.
    Then recent updates fixed video drivers.
    * Peppermint 2 * AMD Sempron 2600+ * 1 gig ddr-400 ram * nvidia geforce 6200-512mb agp 8x *
    * AOC 24" @ 1920by1200 * 3G mobile broadband * browsers: chromium / opera *

`Yes that's my dog, his name is mups'

Beans

ok, how did you install the daily build? I now have three partitions, I want to get rid of the Ubuntu 11.04 partition, and try again, but I dont know how to do that.

Beans

"Black screen" can unfortunately mean many things. Is the backlight turned off? You should be able to determine this by looking at the screen in a dark room. Can you switch to a console with ctrl-alt-F1? Can you log into it from another machine? Would be nice to get the output from the "dmesg" command.

You should be able to block the intel KMS driver by booting with "i915.broken=1" as a kernel option. The unrecognized "broken" module option will keep the module from loading, and X will fall back to the vesa driver. Then you can access the kernel messages in /var/log/kern.log*.

If it is not the backlight, the more general question would be, is the screen black because there is something wrong in X or KMS while there really is something on the screen, or is the boot process stuck at a point where the screen should be painted black?

More tricks here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/BlankScreen
    Last edited by tormod; April 15th, 2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added link to wiki
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast