Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Auth window broken?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UA
    Beans
    29
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Arrow Authentication window does not seem to work?

    I can't do anything that requires root privileges. The window appears, shakes for 0.5 seconds, and disappears. It says "Authentication failure" at the bottom, but my pass was OK at logon and I didn't even have time to type it.
    It started after I made a second user administrator. Making him a normal user would solve everything (I think), but I can't do it because I have to AUTHENTICATE and that exactly what I can't do. sudo via command line works perfectly. I'm desperate.
    How do I make this return to normal?
    Last edited by sshh; February 13th, 2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Changing title and typos.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    13,515

    Re: Auth window broken?

    The command
    Code:
    userdel username
    will remove the user who seems to be causing the problem, but I am sure there must be a simple way to remove that user from the admin group rather than delete him or her completely, I just can't find it.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Beans
    2,041
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Authentication window does not seem to work?

    Quote Originally Posted by sshh View Post
    I can't do anything that requires root privileges. The window appears, shakes for 0.5 seconds, and disappears. It says "Authentication failure" at the bottom, but my pass was OK at logon and I didn't even have time to type it. ... sudo via command line works perfectly. I'm desperate.
    How do I make this return to normal?
    I had a very similar problem a few days ago, except that the window stayed open, accepted my password, and then rejected it as incorrect. The same password was perfectly okay to sudo, though.

    Mine turned out to be that I had unchecked PolicyKit from my list of autostart programs, so that it never actually did the password check from the GUI window. Putting PolicyKit back in the autostart list fixed it. Yours might be something similar.
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    13,515

    Re: Authentication window does not seem to work?

    Quote Originally Posted by JKyleOKC View Post
    I had a very similar problem a few days ago, except that the window stayed open, accepted my password, and then rejected it as incorrect. The same password was perfectly okay to sudo, though.

    Mine turned out to be that I had unchecked PolicyKit from my list of autostart programs, so that it never actually did the password check from the GUI window. Putting PolicyKit back in the autostart list fixed it. Yours might be something similar.
    Interesting!

    I don't even have policykit in my startup applications list in 10.04 so could not uncheck it if I wanted to, and I have never had a problem like this.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Beans
    2,041
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Auth window broken?

    Take a look at this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1687274

    It may help. I'm running Xubuntu, not Ubuntu, so everything about the window manager is a bit different. However the solution that CoffeeCat offered in that thread seems to be for standard Ubuntu!
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UA
    Beans
    29
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Auth window broken?

    Thank you for your answers.
    Made the user a normal user by editing a file, but the problem continued.
    I looked around and found a way to launch Software center, it's
    gksu software-center. And It works fine. But no progress anywhere else.

    Also, right now the window just stays open, with no text field to put the password, and I can't close it by pressing cancel or authenticate.

    Also with gksu software-center I get this:
    2011-02-14 16:28:07,803 - softwarecenter.fixme - WARNING - logs to the root logger: '('/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/db/database.py', 96, 'open')'
    2011-02-14 16:28:07,803 - root - WARNING - failed to add sca db Couldn't detect type of database
    But it works fine. I'm totally lost.

    EDIT.
    Now the window is back again as it was. Shakes for some moments and disappears.
    Also ,this is the output of id:
    uid=1000(sh) gid=1000(sh) groups=1000(sh),4(adm),7(lp),20(dialout),24(cdrom) ,46(plugdev),111(lpadmin),119(admin),122(sambashar e)
    in case it helps.

    Also I have too no policy kit in my Startup.

    Also, sudo-mode IS checked, so that is not the problem.
    It's supposed to be checked, right?
    Last edited by sshh; February 14th, 2011 at 04:06 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Beans
    2,041
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Auth window broken?

    Yes it IS supposed to be checked. I'm out of ideas. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some fresh thoughts!
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UA
    Beans
    29
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Auth window broken?

    I'm desperate.
    So far the closest thing is editing the menu and adding gksudo at the beginning of everything that requires me to be root. But still, it does not always work ("Users" freezes, for example). Right now I'm learning the command line at a faster pace than before.
    But still, if anyone has any suggestions, I will receive them very warmly.

    Also, before this started, I changed my password. It couldn't decrypt my Home Folder, and I had to change it back again. The problems started at the next boot. Maybe it's caused by this?
    Also is there a way to reset Ubuntu without having to reinstall?
    Last edited by sshh; February 16th, 2011 at 03:26 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Beans
    154
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Auth window broken?

    I'm afraid that I can't help, but can offer empathy as I have exactly the same problem.

    I have a new hard drive and installed 10.10 fresh. I then tried to restore a snapshot of my old hard drive (also 10.10 updated) and fear that I have caused some serious devastation. I have exactly the same symptoms. sudo works fine in terminal, Authentication Panel shakes horizontally for 0.5 seconds and then disappears. No install from Software Centre and no updates from the Update Manager.

    Any help would be appreciated!
    But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
    I've got nothin' but affection for all those who've sailed with me. Mississippi: Bob Dylan
    Registered Ubuntu User # 23094

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UA
    Beans
    29
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Auth window broken?

    Quote Originally Posted by timjohn7 View Post
    I'm afraid that I can't help, but can offer empathy as I have exactly the same problem.

    I have a new hard drive and installed 10.10 fresh. I then tried to restore a snapshot of my old hard drive (also 10.10 updated) and fear that I have caused some serious devastation. I have exactly the same symptoms. sudo works fine in terminal, Authentication Panel shakes horizontally for 0.5 seconds and then disappears. No install from Software Centre and no updates from the Update Manager.

    Any help would be appreciated!
    Hi. Right now I'm reinstalling Ubuntu on my hd.
    About software center, it works as
    gksudo software-center
    in terminal, and some other commands do too.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •