Thread: VLC webcam AUDIO capture, which device do I use?

Beans

VLC webcam AUDIO capture, which device do I use?

Ubuntu 9.1
    Eeepc 1005
    I'm not finding a single useful piece of information on this one. I'm using VLC to capture video from my webcam. Under streaming I set the video device to /dev/video0. The trouble is, NOTHING I have tried in the /dev directory works for audio.

Even just an example of a setting that actually works for someone would be helpful. All the how to sites simply state "enter your audio settings" or contain something hypothetical.

Where should I tell VLC to look for the audio coming from the microphone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: VLC webcam AUDIO capture, which device do I use?

Enter "default" to capture from the default sound card.

If your webcam has a microphone that is separate from the main soundcard, enter
    Code:
    arecord -l
    into a terminal window to get a list of audio capture devices. The list will look similar to this:
    Code:
    **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
     card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
       Subdevices: 1/2
       Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
       Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
    Each card has a number and a name. In the example above, the card name is "Intel". Find out the name of the webcam microphone card, then in VLC enter
    Code:
    plughw:name

Beans

Smile Re: VLC webcam AUDIO capture, which device do I use?

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you very much.

Problem Solved

Beans

I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread for this or not, but, I got the audio to work, as in, it doesn't generate an error message and when I hit "play" I can hear it through the headphones. But now it won't record. I can capture the video stream just fine, but no audio, no matter which container I use.

Any ideas anyone?

Beans

Same here when I hit "play" I can hear the sound through the headphones. But when I hit "convert/save" it won't record the sound. I can record the video stream just fine, but no audio.

Beans

I got it working this way: My computer has a Hauppauge PVR card (Bt878 chip) with A/V and onboard intel audio (name = I82801DBICH4). I did what vertexpusher said with some easy tweaking. I went to System>Preferences>audio>input and selected Internal Audio and made sure it wasn't muted. Hook up and play your audio source to the correct jack and change CONNECTOR option until the "Input Level" shows dancing bars indicating sound is detected. Type hw:I82801DBICH4 (in my situation) in VLC's "Audio device name" box, Then type /dev/Video0 in the "Video device name" box. (this might be different for some people.) Then click "Advanced options..." Here, try changing "Input" and "Audio Input" values to 1 if it wasn't working otherwise. For capture cards and cameras with multiple inputs, the correct INPUT value needs to be selected, usually 0, 1 or 2. Then hit play to test your settings. I hope this works for you, it took me hours.

Beans

correction: in vlc, capture mode needs to be set to "Video for Linux 2"