Thread: Updata video driver? PanP7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Updata video driver? PanP7

Hi all,

After upgrading to Firefox 4, I went into the page https://demos.mozilla.org/en-US/ (no idea why...) and I got the message "Unfortunately, while your browser supports WebGL, your video drivers may be too old. To view any of the demos tagged with WebGL, try updating your drivers at NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel."

I have a PanP7 with a Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 Graphics with 512MB GDDR2 Memory. I was wondering whether or not I should really update my drivers. I thought that the update manager would suggest me to update if it was required, but this has not been the case. Any suggestions? In case I should update, any suggestion on how to do it?

Thanks,
    Linux User #463723 | Ubuntu User #20466 |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Updata video driver? PanP7

Quote Originally Posted by flucoe View Post
    Hi all,

After upgrading to Firefox 4, I went into the page https://demos.mozilla.org/en-US/ (no idea why...) and I got the message "Unfortunately, while your browser supports WebGL, your video drivers may be too old. To view any of the demos tagged with WebGL, try updating your drivers at NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel."

I have a PanP7 with a Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 Graphics with 512MB GDDR2 Memory. I was wondering whether or not I should really update my drivers. I thought that the update manager would suggest me to update if it was required, but this has not been the case. Any suggestions? In case I should update, any suggestion on how to do it?

Thanks,
    You probably need to install / enable the binary driver. See the following howto: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

I will give you a fair warning. You should be careful to follow the steps exactly. If you screw something up, it can take a while to troubleshoot the problem(s) and fix them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Is that warning about hardware acceleration? If so, I think that is only supported with Windows at this time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yep, I've confirmed that that message comes up if you don't have the proper drivers. Try going to System > Administration > Additional Drivers and see if the ATI drivers are listed there. If they are, click them and click "Activate".
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Update video driver? PanP7

Hi,

I don't have any "additional drivers" option (by the way, I still use Ubuntu 10.04), just "hardware drivers". Anyway, the "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver" is "activated and currently in use". No idea if this is the same isantop was asking me to do, but I didn't find the "additional drivers" option.
    Linux User #463723 | Ubuntu User #20466 |