Thread: Daru2 Hard Drive Crashed? (MS1221)

Beans

Unhappy Daru2 Hard Drive Crashed? (MS1221)

Hello,

My Daru2 won't boot up any more and I think it's the hard drive, but I'm not sure. The only thing that happens when I press the start button is the power on indicator light on the front panel lights up. There's no activity from the hard drive light and nothing on the screen. Should I buy a hard drive and see if I can replace it, or might there be something else wrong with it? I'm way past the warranty period, but any advice you can give me on fixing it myself would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Daru2 Hard Drive Crashed? (MS1221)

Quote Originally Posted by tuebinger View Post
    Hello,

My Daru2 won't boot up any more and I think it's the hard drive, but I'm not sure. The only thing that happens when I press the start button is the power on indicator light on the front panel lights up. There's no activity from the hard drive light and nothing on the screen. Should I buy a hard drive and see if I can replace it, or might there be something else wrong with it? I'm way past the warranty period, but any advice you can give me on fixing it myself would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Since you're not seeing the bios splash screen, you're problem is probably something bigger than a dead hard drive. Are you able to boot from a live CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can test if it's the hard drive or not by removing it. You'll probably get an operating system not found message, but it should get past the BIOS screen.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I started up the computer today and it loaded up as normal. Now I'm nervous about saving any of my work, or shutting it off, because I'm afraid I might not get it started again. Any ideas as to why it wouldn't start up before?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tuebinger View Post
    I started up the computer today and it loaded up as normal. Now I'm nervous about saving any of my work, or shutting it off, because I'm afraid I might not get it started again. Any ideas as to why it wouldn't start up before?
    The first thing you should do now that your computer is working is to copy your important data to an external storage source. Once you do that you can check your hard drive status using 'palimpsest'.

Beans

Luckily I am pretty good about backing up my data anyway, but I will be moving everything over to my desktop. I'm disappointed that I can no longer rely on my System76 laptop to consistently power on. Although it's more than 3 years old, I would have hoped I could have relied on it for many more years to come.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does the system still boot up from a LiveCD? It may have simply been your installation, and a fresh one may fix it right up.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Yes the live CD works. But I can't tell you how many times I've reinstalled Ubuntu on this laptop. (answer=a lot!) The good news is it is consistently booting up now. If I reinstall it, I'll probably dual boot again so I can switch to Windows when I need the laptop to sleep (sleep problem for this model still not fixed, I don't believe). BTW, my battery is dying and I noticed you guys don't sell the battery for the daru2 any more. Any suggestions as to where I could get another one?