Thread: Trying to connect to school's wireless

Beans

Trying to connect to school's wireless

The wireless network at my school does not directly support Linux OS's. I'd like to see if it was possible to connect my laptop which is running Ubuntu 10.10 to the network. I've tried messing around with it, but haven't been successful.

Here is the university's Web site showing the security requirements/necessary settings:

http://www.etsu.edu/oit/networking/wireLessSetup.aspx

I would appreciate any help anyone could give.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Trying to connect to school's wireless

What happens when you try to log in using the OSX directions as guidance and selecting WPA/WPA2 Enterprise as security? If ETSUWiFi isn't listed, you might have to use the "connect to a hidden network" option.
    Last edited by walt.smith1960; March 16th, 2011 at 09:50 PM.

Beans

That web site you linked to should give you all necessary detail.
    The rest is in the setting up of the connection.
    It has been my experience that, if you're within range, the Ubuntu networking stuff will do the necessary.

What sort of thing have you tried, and do you have any error messages to quote?

I've not heard of AES encryption or EAP type - googlr might help out.
    I wouldn't expect it to be very out-of-the-way, otherwise people would have trouble connecting with Windows.

It looks like the dialog for XP on a personal machine gives good guide points, and implicitly suggests the SSID isn't hidden.
    Derek

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by walt.smith1960 View Post
    What happens when you try to log in using the OSX directions as guidance and selecting WPA/WPA2 Enterprise as security? If ETSUWiFi isn't listed, you might have to use the "connect to a hidden network" option.
    I tried that before and it would sit there for about 15 seconds and try to connect then it would report that it failed. I checked my settings and tried again several times and it did the same thing.

However, I went back tonight and created a brand new connection profile and tried it again, and it connected without a hitch (I'm posting this using that connection right now actually). I swear I didn't do anything different this time as before, but who knows.

Thank you both for taking the time to assist me though.