Thread: Remote Access Management for Servers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Remote Access Management for Servers

Hi there,

I figure this is probably the best place to post my question. I'm looking into purchasing a new server or two for my small business, and while I would love to support what system76 is doing for linux and Ubuntu, I need to make sure their offered solutions will work with what we need them to.

Do the servers come with any sort of system that allows for remote access management/lights out management? This is an absolute must-have in our case as our server(s) will not be easily accessible for us to have a physical presence in the event that something goes wrong

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Remote Access Management for Servers

Are you asking if SSH Server is installed by default or (if you would want to use) remote desktop (vinagre) or do you mean support for a KVM solution?

I probably can't answer your question but I was just curious for exactly what you were looking for. Ubuntu comes with SSH client but not server, I believe that is the same for the server version of ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Welcome to the forum, dkartik

If you do not get your questions answered on this forum, I would suggest that you contact System 76 directly. Here is a link that will help.

http://www.system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=24

I have contacted them this way many times both prior to and after a purchase. My suspician is that any company that advertises and sells Ubuntu based servers will have specific answers to your questions. Hope this helps.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was referring more to a built-in KVM sort of thing. I need the ability to be able to power on the machine remotely among other things. I know Ubuntu server allows for control over ssh once the machine is booted and live, a lights out management allows for the machine to be accessed and some functionality controlled when the server is not on.

Equivalents of what I'm referring to is remote access management from Dell or integrated lights out management from HP.

I'll give system76 a call, thanks for the contact info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not sure about integrated KVM or remote power on, but you might have a look at Canonical's Landscape service:

https://landscape.canonical.com/
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!