Thread: mySQL Incremental Backup - Binary Log file names

Beans

mySQL Incremental Backup - Binary Log file names

I am currently using a script to backup my Ubuntu 10.04.1 system. The mySQL databases are backed up separately from the the system / data.

My problem is with the mySQL incremental / binary log backups.

The problem is that the binary log file(s) are always named xxxx-bin.1.

Up to about a month ago the binary logs were named xxxx-bin.000001, xxxx-bin.000002, etc.

I did make some changes at about the time that this change in file naming ocurred, but I can not identify what, if any, setting I may have changed that has caused all of the binary log files to always have the same name.

My back up script uses both mysqldump and mysqladmin flush-logs to create the binary logs.

All of the setting for mysqldump and mysqladmin are contained in the my.cnf file.

The my.cnf file contents that are relavent are as follows:

Code:

log-bin  = /mnt/sdb1/backups/mysqldbs/xxx-mysql-bin
    expire_logs_days = 10
    max_binlog_size = 100M
    [mysqldump]
    quick
    quote-names
    max_allowed_packet = 16M
    #JR: added following lines for sql dumps.
    user  = root
    password  = xxxxx
    all-databases
    comments
    delete-master-logs
    dump-date
    extended-insert
    flush-logs
    flush-privileges
    lock-tables
    master-data=2
    routines
    single-transaction
    triggers
    [mysqladmin]
    password = xxxxx
    The statements in the backup script that do the backup are:

mysqladmin flush-logs

or

mysqldump | gzip > $DB_BACKUP_DIR/$ARCHIVE_FILE #Note: delete-master-logs in my.cnf

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: mySQL Incremental Backup - Binary Log file names

"flush logs" should close the binary log and start a new one with the next number. If you removed the flush logs statement then the number would stay the same. I would make sure the flush is still happening and maybe do a manual flush to see that the file number changes.

I use a similar method during my backups and the only time I've seen the number stay the same is when there was a problem with my cron daemon that prevented the backup from running. I'm not aware of any config that stops the number advancing even in the case of a flush.

(After all the purpose of the flush is to commit the log before continuing and ensure the log file is valid - which it can't do if it's still held open and incomplete)

On the other hand, perhaps the delete-master-log causes it to always start a new log during flush and that would always be at #1 - so removing that seems like a good choice. I'd read up on that command...

Beans

BkkBonanza,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I received your suggestion 15 minutes before my backup script was scheduled to run.

I edited the my.cnf file to comment out the "delete-master-logs" line and after saving the new my.cnf file restarted mySQL.

Unfortunately, the result was the same -- The binary log file is still named xxxx.log.1

What am I / we missing?

Regards,

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I don't think the cnf file change will take effect unless you restart mysql - but I may be wrong on that. I believe restarting mysql would also flush the log and increment the log number. It has for me in the past.

There is a reload option from the mysqladmin command line but from what I read it is version dependent.

Also see this page in the docs with some warnings about delete-master-logs. It says logs are removed even if the slave hasn't processed them yet. Since it doesn't keep anything I would assume it starts at #1 each time.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...up-policy.html
    Last edited by BkkBonanza; March 16th, 2011 at 06:52 AM.