Thread: "Best" solution for BBC Iplayer on 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

"Best" solution for BBC Iplayer on 10.10

hey guys, pretty much as per the title really, what is the best way for me to get the BBC Iplayer / ITV and 4OD working from within the Myth frontend?

I used to use mythvodka but it was pretty ropey if im honest and I was hoping there might be a mythstream type solution?

Thanks.
    Im still kind of new here, only 8 years into ubuntu and still finding my way around!
    There are no such things as dumb questions, just dumb people! (And yes, i consider myself to be dumb!)

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: "Best" solution for BBC Iplayer on 10.10

Maybe not exactly a mythstream solution, but this is how i've done it. Setup tor and vidala, and in tor's conf file you can define an endpoint of gb. Read their documentation for more info. Then an extension for firefox called foxyproxy allows you to use the tor network for specific adressess like bbc.co.uk. Traffic to bbc will pop out of gb, but the nice thing is it will actually stream the video directly. Then just setup firefox as your mythbrowser or add a custom menu link for it. This is all based off of a few different walkthroughs and some additional massaging. Mostly based off of hurwi.net/blog/?p=28.
    Sorry if im not entirely clear, but im typing on my phone.

Edit:fixing an android spellcheck

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply, seems pretty long winded way of getting iplayer working. Not taking anything away from what you have done, but if im launching a browser why not just point it to bbc.co.uk/iplayer?
    Im still kind of new here, only 8 years into ubuntu and still finding my way around!
    There are no such things as dumb questions, just dumb people! (And yes, i consider myself to be dumb!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

hi, I just use mythnetvision plugin for iplayer, if you are using a recent mythbuntu and the 0.24 mythtv then that should work, (be warned it takes a while to download the structure of the iplayer available files..., I aborted like 3 times thinking it was broken before just letting it run for a while)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I currently have both xbmc and myth running as the iplayer in xbmc is vastly superior to netvision.

Beans

I'm in the middle of setting up mythtv for the first time and want to include both skype and iplayer in it.

For me mythnetvision keeps freezing when I try to come out of it, so I've been looking for how to have a menu option that would take me out of mythtv and then hopefully put me back in again.

I have found this solution for Skype, which I haven't had a chance to try yet. I can't see why it wouldn't also work for iPlayer.

I'll have a go over the next couple of days and post the outcome here.

Jim
    Jim Hitch
    English Language Services Limited
    http://www.jimhitch.co.uk

Beans
    Distro

I like the sound of the iplayer grabber for mythnetstream but when i follow this i dont have the option to subscribe;

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Bbciplayer.py

Im guessing its because i dont have the bbciplayer.py python script, any chance someone could upload it for me and tell me where it should be placed?

Thanks.