Thread: Problems with hp pavillion dv6 wifi

Beans

Question Problems with hp pavillion dv6 wifi

EDIT: I'm sorry I probably put this in the wrong category. I didn't see the general help one and now I realize that I probably should have put it there.

Hi, I newly installed ubuntu 10.10 on my hp pavillion dv6 notebook pc and cannot get wifi OR a wired connection to work with it. I'm dual booting windows 7 with ubuntu (installed inside of windows) and am currently in windows 7 where my internets are working fine to find help with the problem. I know virtually nothing about ubuntu and decided to install and figure it out as I go so helping me may be tedious as i'm still getting used to linux in general so it would be good if you can include information on how to do something as well as what to do. Ubuntu is detecting my wifi card but failing to use it. I'm guessing that that is because of the hp software run touch button to turn the wireless on and off. There is a little wireless sign on my computer that glows blue when it is on and red when it is off. If I touch it then it is toggled on and off. In ubuntu however, It simply glows red and if I touch it nothing happens. Ubuntu shows no network connections even though I know there are 7 of them where I live.

So, basically what I think I am asking is:
    Are there drivers I can download to fix this problem or is my problem caused by something else?
    and
    Why doesn't my wired connection work in ubuntu either? (btw my port works fine)
    and
    How do I fix this? Hellllpppp meeeee!!!

thanks ;D
    Last edited by holytoaster; March 9th, 2011 at 09:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Problems with hp pavillion dv6 wifi

Quote Originally Posted by holytoaster View Post
    EDIT: I'm sorry I probably put this in the wrong category. I didn't see the general help one and now I realize that I probably should have put it there.

Hi, I newly installed ubuntu 10.10 on my hp pavillion dv6 notebook pc and cannot get wifi OR a wired connection to work with it. I'm dual booting windows 7 with ubuntu (installed inside of windows) and am currently in windows 7 where my internets are working fine to find help with the problem. I know virtually nothing about ubuntu and decided to install and figure it out as I go so helping me may be tedious as i'm still getting used to linux in general so it would be good if you can include information on how to do something as well as what to do. Ubuntu is detecting my wifi card but failing to use it. I'm guessing that that is because of the hp software run touch button to turn the wireless on and off. There is a little wireless sign on my computer that glows blue when it is on and red when it is off. If I touch it then it is toggled on and off. In ubuntu however, It simply glows red and if I touch it nothing happens. Ubuntu shows no network connections even though I know there are 7 of them where I live.

So, basically what I think I am asking is:
    Are there drivers I can download to fix this problem or is my problem caused by something else?
    and
    Why doesn't my wired connection work in ubuntu either? (btw my port works fine)
    and
    How do I fix this? Hellllpppp meeeee!!!

thanks ;D
    Hi!

I'm in the process of helping another person

to get his intel adapter working in another thread.

Chances are that you have an adapter from intel

as well. The instructions are relevant

if you have the "iwlagn" module loaded for

your card and I've posted instructions how

to check if you have before you begin

following the instructions.

Here is the thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1703030
    Last edited by DanneStrat; March 9th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.

Beans

Post Re: Problems with hp pavillion dv6 wifi

Ah I see. I do believe that I have one as well. Thank you good sir, I will try your instructions as soon as I can borrow a computer to read them and get in ubuntu at the same time.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Problems with hp pavillion dv6 wifi

Quote Originally Posted by holytoaster View Post
    Ah I see. I do believe that I have one as well. Thank you good sir, I will try your instructions as soon as I can borrow a computer to read them and get in ubuntu at the same time.
    Sounds good!

We can have a look at your wired ethernet

card afterwards.
    Last edited by DanneStrat; March 9th, 2011 at 12:52 PM.