Thread: Need help to get optical spdif to work

Beans

Unhappy Need help to get optical spdif to work

My mythtv system died, so I transplanted the hard disk drives to a new system. All is working now, except the sound output.

The new m'board has optical spdif whereas the old one had coax. The new one also has hdmi which I am not using. The sound settings from the old setup, i.e. sound to ALSA:spdif and passthrough to the IEC device, no longer seem to work.

I have managed to get some analog sound by configuring mythtv to use /dev/dsp, but I also had to fire up a mixer as all the sound controls were set to zero. I mention all that, because I am wondering if there isn't a mixer setting or switch, to allow the optical output to work.

I am suffering without my good mythtv sound, so please help
    Last edited by ubnewbie2; March 8th, 2011 at 04:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Need help to get optical spdif to work

Does your optical work outside of myth? Have you checked your alsamixer settings to make sure it's not muted? what does aplay -l return?
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Which model is your motherboard ?

I recently tried to connect my motherboard (Asus M2N68-VM) via optical to my receiver. After lots of headaches and googling I found out that the connector is actually an input (at least when using linux).

Bought one of these cheap on ebay, hooked it up to the internal connector of the motherboard and everything worked like a charm.
    Lucid Lynx 10.04 on a Lenovo Thinkpad R61i
    Arch frontend/backend
    Arch frontend
    Yay North Adelaide Ultimate !!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by laffinet View Post
    Which model is your motherboard ?

I recently tried to connect my motherboard (Asus M2N68-VM) via optical to my receiver. After lots of headaches and googling I found out that the connector is actually an input (at least when using linux).

Bought one of these cheap on ebay, hooked it up to the internal connector of the motherboard and everything worked like a charm.
    By coincidence, that's the same m'board as mine Will try your solution, thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newlinux View Post
    Does your optical work outside of myth? Have you checked your alsamixer settings to make sure it's not muted? what does aplay -l return?
    I ran alsa-mixer in a terminal window. Not muting anything, but nothing specific in there for digital.

Code:
    $ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: VT1708B Analog [VT1708B Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/2
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
      Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: VT1708B Digital [VT1708B Digital]
      Subdevices: 1/1
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
      Subdevices: 1/1
    There's another post in this thread that says it's an input, not an output. Seems using the internal spdif i/o connecter might work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ubnewbie2 View Post
    There's another post in this thread that says it's an input, not an output. Seems using the internal spdif i/o connecter might work.
    It certainly did on mine. If you want to read a bit more about it try here and here.

Be aware that you can't use the internal connector without the proper bracket that provides the proper optical and/or coax connections (like the one I linked in my earlier post).

Once I got the bracket and had it all connected it was working as expected.
    Lucid Lynx 10.04 on a Lenovo Thinkpad R61i
    Arch frontend/backend
    Arch frontend
    Yay North Adelaide Ultimate !!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by laffinet View Post
    It certainly did on mine. If you want to read a bit more about it try here and here.

Be aware that you can't use the internal connector without the proper bracket that provides the proper optical and/or coax connections (like the one I linked in my earlier post).

Once I got the bracket and had it all connected it was working as expected.
    Already ordered the bracket. Thanks again for your help.