Thread: SD card USB boot.

SD card USB boot.

So my shipment from newegg came in today, yielding my delightful new gigabyte network card and a few odds and ends. External disk writer, as I've needed to write disks recently with Ubuntu flavours, some gigabyte switches, and most interestingly, an all-in-one SD card reader.
    It acts as a zip drive, so i was wondering if i could put different Ubuntu flavours, the .isos, on a few different SD cards and just swap them out as i need to. Rather than multiple disks, I'd just carry around a much smaller SD card case and the SD USB reader, plug it into a technology-illiterate friend's computer, play with the BIOS, and boot the installation disk from the USB drive. Could I do this, using the Universal USB installer, on multiple SD cards? Would it even work, or be uncorrupted? Could I do it on different kinds of SD cards, Mini, Micro, etc?
    Thanks, the Captain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: SD card USB boot.

I use them to run versions of chrome on my netbook. You can do it if your bios will let you. Just be sure to get a fast sdcard

or

it

will

be

real slowwwwwww.

A USB 2.0 port, and the reader is compatible with 2.0, should i get a specific kind of card?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Potter Fujichan View Post
    A USB 2.0 port, and the reader is compatible with 2.0, should i get a specific kind of card?
    The one with the fastest read speed you are willing to pay for. I use a sandisk extreme III.