Thread: Gedit/Nautilus and SSH file saving

Beans

Gedit/Nautilus and SSH file saving

Lox,

I connect with ssh to an Ubuntu server to edit some files in /var/www witch I have set the setgid bit:

# sudo chgrp -R www-data /var/www
    # sudo chmod -R 770 /var/www
    # sudo chmod -R g+s /var/www

I have added the user "user" to www-data group. Now I connect using ssh as user "user" to my server with nautilus. When I copy files using nautilus file get the group permission 'www-data' as they should.

But if I edit a file using Gedit and save it, the file's group get changed to "user" group ?!?

How is this possible? Shouldn't setgid bit avoid this?

Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Gedit/Nautilus and SSH file saving

I have exactly a similar problem here: different behavior in a shell (in which the command line file/directory creation shows the right behavior) and through Nautilus (the group is not properly inherited by the new files)...

Quote Originally Posted by gecka View Post
    Lox,

I connect with ssh to an Ubuntu server to edit some files in /var/www witch I have set the setgid bit:

# sudo chgrp -R www-data /var/www
    # sudo chmod -R 770 /var/www
    # sudo chmod -R g+s /var/www

I have added the user "user" to www-data group. Now I connect using ssh as user "user" to my server with nautilus. When I copy files using nautilus file get the group permission 'www-data' as they should.

But if I edit a file using Gedit and save it, the file's group get changed to "user" group ?!?

How is this possible? Shouldn't setgid bit avoid this?

Regards.

Beans

Question Re: Gedit/Nautilus and SSH file saving

Same problem and it is 2011, using Ubuntu 10.04 lts both at home and on the server. I ssh with Nautilus, use gedit to edit a php file, and when I save gedit for some mysterious reason changes the file's group from www-data to my username which, well, sucks! I've been googling all day and can't find a work around or solution. I'm sure this was not a problem when my server was 8:04 lts.

Before editing and saving with gedit:
    myusername www-data drwxr-----

After edtiting and saving with gedit:
    myusername myusername drwxr-----

So I have to maunally chgrp the files I edit or apache can't see them anymore - it's driving me nuts.

Anyone know a fix for this constant annoyance? Maybe a setting I can change on my server? Maybe another nice php parsing gui editor works better with nautilus over ssh?

Beans

Re: Gedit/Nautilus and SSH file saving

I find same bug in 12.04 .

FYI, same problem existed with jEdit, but only when its "Two-stage save" option was set. It would upload file to a temporary name, and once complete, then replace remote server's file with temporary upload. Perhaps the temp file had both owner and group set to ssh login. When instead two-stage save feature disabled, original file's group is preserved. Owner may change to ssh login. So change file's group to www-data to preserve Apache2 functionality.

So if you are looking for an alternate editor, try jEdit with "Two-stage save" option cleared.(Utilities / Global Options / jEdit / Saving & Backup)
    Last edited by Green Bean; December 11th, 2012 at 07:56 AM.