Thread: jEdit/Komodo alternatives.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

jEdit/Komodo alternatives.

Hey guys!

I've looked through google's results to find a replacement for jEdit/Komodo, but nothing seems to be what I am looking for.

jEdit and Komodo allow me to have a list of favourite/recently edited files, allow me to have multiple files open, and use color coding of syntax to help me out. Komodo goes as far as allowing me to close tags, such as collapsing entire contents of <div></div> statements and such.

I use sshfs to mount my remote working environment at different locations. Some locations, such as the place I work most of the time, have wireless internet and/or unstable connections.

I am having problems with both jEdit and Komodo. I believe it is in part due to the unstable connectivity to the server, but I also noticed that Komodo had problems in general with staying open.

If anybody has any suggestions on how to make jEdit (which I use more than Komodo because it seems to be more stable in general) more stable, or a good, solid built alternative, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Maybe a program written in C vs Java would be great.

Anyways, any organic suggestions are welcome. Search results have no personality.

Beans
    Distro

Re: jEdit/Komodo alternatives.

geany
    or simply use the default gedit
    DMedia - Distributed Media Library
    LaVida - A simulation game for Linux
    AskUbuntu

Beans
    Distro

Hey, I'll give this a try. Thanks for the quick response.

I am pretty sure the issue with jEdit was the connectivity. Seems like edditing files truely localy helps with it's stability.

Beans
    Distro

My friend uses Coda, which allows him to search for strings within project. I know that geany allows projects, I just need to figure out how to take advantage of it.

Geany is a great tool and what I currently use.

Thanks for the suggestion.