Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low performance with HW acceleration enabled

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy But great performance on LiveCD!

Even with all special effects my Gnome environment still works sluggish. Inkscape is unusable (with some additional refreshing issue on the rulers) and when I try to draw something in GIMP the line/spray etc. moves at 2 inches (5 cm) per second. CPU usage is almost constantly over 80%, RAM usage at 300 of 600 MB. I know it's just an old laptop but it works FAR worse than my girlfriend's Asus Eee 1005 netbook running Windows 7 starter!

AMD Turion64 1.6 GHz
    ~600 MB RAM

Code:
    glxgears
    gives 60 FPS

Code:
    glxinfo |grep rendering
    direct rendering: Yes
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    The file is blank!

Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)
    No graphics drivers are listed under Additional Drivers
    Last edited by Bucic; January 30th, 2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: changing the title

Beans
    Distro

Re: Low performance with HW acceleration enabled

Anyone?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

opensource drivers for Xpress200 seem to be causing some problems. the only solution is to try and to install testing verson (i think it's testing) of opensource xorg drivers. or to wait until they solve the issues.

apaprently it helps with xpress 300. have a look for more infor here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

basically you would be looking for: xserver-xorg-video-radeon

Or the bleeding egde:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1476691
    https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro

Thank you very much for your response! May I count on you if I post my findings/testing results? Would testing the performance (e.g. in GIMP) using a live CD be a valuable information?

One thing I tested yesterday. I enabled Extra effects in Appearance settings (GNOME) and the maximize/minimize window effect (a "boing!" gello) seems perfectly smooth and having very little impact on CPU. I don't know what to think about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Even with all special effects my Gnome environment still works sluggish.
    Performance will be better if you turn all effects off, and with that machine you should consider using a lighter desktop environment. LXDE should be a bit smoother.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cchhrriiss121212 View Post
    Performance will be better if you turn all effects off, and with that machine you should consider using a lighter desktop environment. LXDE should be a bit smoother.
    That's the thing I wanted to highlight - the performance difference between EXTRA and NONE effects settings was minimal.

Also I plan to compare my current Ubuntu performance to performance on Windows 7 Professional installed. If the latter system will perform better it will be a clear indicator that there's something quirky about linux-my laptop combination i.e. there will be no sensible reason to stick to linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    Thank you very much for your response! May I count on you if I post my findings/testing results?
    Sorry, no. I am jsut a newb, that actually got lucky with these opensource drivers on an older ATI card.

Would testing the performance (e.g. in GIMP) using a live CD be a valuable information?
    no, definatelly not.
    Also I plan to compare my current Ubuntu performance to performance on Windows 7 Professional installed. If the latter system will perform better it will be a clear indicator that there's something quirky about linux-my laptop combination i.e. there will be no sensible reason to stick to linux.
    ATI didn't make the Linux drivers for your card (community people did), but they support the Win7. as i said there are still issues with opensoruce drivers and they are hit or miss. things are improving. you could try the very latest bleeding edge version. or drop linux for now (or even forever) and return later when the issues with these xpress chips get fixed. you are not the only one with xpress200 problem (search the forums), but some peopel solved it by using latest opensoruce drivers i believe.

whatever others say Gnome should run just fine on your computer specs. i know this because i run it on much lower specs
    Last edited by mastablasta; January 27th, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro

Ubuntu LiveCD provides multitude of my installed ubuntu performance!
    I've just tested it using GIMP.

On my installed Ubuntu:
    GIMP unusable. Even regular brush at default scale (1.0) won't keep up with my cursor when I do som zig-zags.

On Ubuntu LiveCD:
    GIMP works exactly the same as on my hi-end monster - enough said! Even airbrush at scale 10 works like a charm.

Beans
    Distro

Can someone help me out here? I've got few questions regarding the links mastablasta provided:

0. Why the hell the LiveCD version of Ubuntu provides me with superior performance?

1. How do I check if I don't use the latest Open Source driver already?
    (maybe it's installed already...)

2. If I decide to go for xorg-edgers driver - where is a noob friendly guide. Guys who soar around those drivers seem to take everything for granted.

3. Is it normal that both of these ... are installed together?
    xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    xserver-xorg-video-radeon-ati
    xserver-xorg-video-mach64
    xserver-xorg-video-r128

Along with drivers (?) for many other cards?

4. If everything fails - what is the latest ubuntu + driver combination that is reported to work?
    Last edited by Bucic; January 28th, 2011 at 12:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Bump

I just tried installing xorg-edgers drivers like this
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafler View Post
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    sudo apt-get update
    ...and restart.
    I didn't notice any changes at all.

Is there anything I should know before I switch to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    For future reference, the last ATI fglrx drivers that DID support your card came with Catalyst version 9.3 -- and that worked with Ubuntu versions prior to 9.04.

ATI has said several times that they will NOT be releasing new Lnix drivers for those cards. So, there's no point in trying out any new driver versions.
    Last edited by Bucic; January 28th, 2011 at 01:52 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast