Thread: switching from MediaMonkey

Beans

switching from MediaMonkey

I'm one of those who is willing to switch from WinXP to Ubuntu and drop every windows app that I use...except for MediaMonkey. Has anybody who was a BIG user of MediaMonkey successfully switched to a native linux media app? And I mean, imported all the tags and ratings, too. And used the new app to synchronize an iRiver Clix. If you haven't used MediaMonkey and made the switch, please don't reply. I really need to hear from those who are experienced with MediaMonkey.

Beans

Re: switching from MediaMonkey

Huge fan of MediaMonkey here, also trying to make the complete transition. Sadly, I've given up (for now) the idea that I'll find something that will completely replace MediaMonkey. What I'm trying to do instead is use either RhythmBox or Amarok and fill in the missing functionality with other apps, like MusicBrainz Picard for auto-tagging. But I haven't even come close to being satisfied.

Beans

Have completely made the switch from WinXP and Win Vista to Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 on two machines. What do I miss most? Gaming and of course Media Monkey. I am currently using Amorok with MySQL as the database, but Amorok cannot hold a candle to MM in terms of speed, tagging and functionality. I used to use MusicMatch Jukebox until Yahoo took over to kill it, but then I found MM which was hands down the BEST at handling my large library and absolutely great with tagging songs.

In Ubuntu, when I download an album, I have to use Easytag or Musicbrainz or Kid3 to tag the files before moving them into my music library folder. With MM, all I had to do was use the automatic lookup and I could always get my tracks tagged easily. There are many players that I can use, but only MM was the complete package. I have tried to get it running in Wine and using Virtualbox, but always there are features missing. I am now thinking of reinstalling Win XP and setting up a dual boot system just for MM. I wish they would port MM over to Linux... I would gladly pay for it.

Beans

I searched 'Musicmatch Jukebox' and came across this thread. I've been looking for something like Musicmatch since Yahoo bought and scrapped it.
    This Media Monkey sounds like the closest thing I've seen in years to Musicmatch, but I'd still love to find a Linux equivalent.

Musicmatch had excellent features for batch tagging, internet tag lookup (including cover art), batch renaming, tag viewing (lyrics, notes, release year, artist bios, etc)
    Good selection of skins and plugins, great ripper and burner, ideal for someone wanting an organized archive of their music, with a consistent folder hierarchy, naming convention, and id3 tags beyond standard artist-album-track #-track name to lyrics, cover art, notes, or more.

Beans

Hello,

I'm in the same boat - I have a big music collection and I am trying to get it properly tagged and organized. MM is very good, but I just found "guayadeque". It looks very promising and I will definitely give it a try.
    It promise to be a match for MediaMonkey.

Beans

guayadeque looks promising. Thanks for the tip. Anyone interested in checking it out, look here...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/guayadeque/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I came across this randomly and since I'm interested I thought to come back to this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by vinsect View Post
    guayadeque looks promising. Thanks for the tip. Anyone interested in checking it out, look here...
    Promising indeed. How does guayadeque handle ratings though? Are they stored as metatags? Surely it can't retrieve mediamonkey's ratings I'm afraid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by stevelove View Post
    Huge fan of MediaMonkey here, also trying to make the complete transition. Sadly, I've given up (for now) the idea that I'll find something that will completely replace MediaMonkey. What I'm trying to do instead is use either RhythmBox or Amarok and fill in the missing functionality with other apps, like MusicBrainz Picard for auto-tagging. But I haven't even come close to being satisfied.
    stevelove, check out my post on how i got MediaMonkey to work under ubuntu 10.10 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...65&postcount=7)... might help you guys out...